Our Year of the Dragon Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerspitnight

Reaction score
This recipe is based on the SN Stout, although we have had to sub some hops for the lack of availability.

Grain Bill:
Pale 18
Munich 10 6
Black Patent 1
Crystal 20 1.33

Hops:
Magnum 1 60 16.7% 25.60
Nugget 1.5 60 11.0% 25.30
Cascade 2 10 5.5% 6.11
Willamette 3 0 4.7% 0.00
Centennial 2 0 9.2% 0.00

US-05

Mash @ 154
Mashout @ 176

Boil 60 min
We'll add the Willamette and Centennial 5 minutes after we start the wort chiller up. It usually takes 20 - 25 minutes to get the wort down to 65.

Just cooled down the first pull for a reading...expected .075 and we're coming up with .092. Wonder why? Super efficiency? Waiting for the last pull and the pre-boil samples to cool down.

Final OG was 1.077 with 86% efficiency...this beer is going to be much bigger than we thought it would be!

We kegged this last night. Final gravity was 1.020, which is a point above the stated recipe FG. Although our OG was 1.077, which was 12pts above the 1.065 OG as stated by the recipe. That gives us an abv of 7.6%, holy crap!
I'll let it sit in the keg for the next week before trying some (although we tasted the sample from the gravity reading and it was very tasty).

I pulled the first pint from this almost clone of SN Stout and it is delicious! At a warmer temp, it has a small alcohol bit to it, but when keg is chilled the bit is gone. It has a great mouthfeel and hints of chocolate and toffee. I am very happy with this brew and it will make its way into a semi-regular rotation!

Latest posts

Back