SWMBO needs help!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

staffVAJoe

Reaction score
SWMBO has lit candles and had me move the trash cans outside of the garage. Stuff has been put into the garbage disposal and the trash cans have been sprayed.

yet a mystery smell still is noticeable.

Are you going to tell her that it is the apfelwein fermenting in the basement?

Me neither:tank:

SWMBO has lit candles and had me move the trash cans outside of the garage. Stuff has been put into the garbage disposal and the trash cans have been sprayed.

yet a mystery smell still is noticeable.

Are you going to tell her that it is the apfelwein fermenting in the basement?

Me neither:tank:

Tell her that you think it's coming from the basement. Go downstairs and drink beer for awhile and check your gravity. Estimate how long it will take for the fermentation to finish. Tell her you will need that amount of time to clean up the 'mystery' odor (make up a technical sounding problem of your choice). Brew and drink until the Apfelwein is complete. Don't get caught.

When your finger hurts...stomp on your toe to forget about it.

You need to open a few cans of Hormel's hot chili...mix it with a can of Ole El Paso refried beans, pour it over a bowl of steaming broccoli topped with some freshly grated Parmesan...then chase it with some green home brew.

In about 6-8 hours, that mystery smell will seem like lilacs in Spring.

When your finger hurts...stomp on your toe to forget about it.

You need to open a few cans of Hormel's hot chili...mix it with a can of Ole El Paso refried beans, pour it over a bowl of steaming broccoli topped with some freshly grated Parmesan...then chase it with some green home brew.

In about 6-8 hours, that mystery smell will seem like lilacs in Spring.

So THAT's how they came up with the rhino farts comparison..... makes sense now....

Tell her you found HALF a dead thing in the basement. Not sure where the other half is. It could take awhile to find.

This leaves me a little scared. I started an apfelwein about a week ago and have no such smell. I mean it's worse than the normal beer smells coming out of the airlock, but nothing that would make me think I need a hazmat team to come in a clean the place when it's done fermenting.

I'm about to start EdWorts using the Tree Top Apple Juice and Montrachet yeast. Will that smell like dead squirrel?

Really depends on the juice you buy and if you use yeast nutrient I've read. Mine's never smelled bad.

Nor mine. I've used three different brands of juice - all from concentrate with only ascorbic acid added.

I did manage to have a slight blow-off on the most recent batch. I always use the Montrachet yeast, but this time I reused the yeast cake from the last batch. Nothing bad though - a few ounces lost, I'd guess. Still no horrible odor though - even right next to the airlock.

My SWMBO hates the smell of hops. Wish i knew this before brewing the hop head kit from midwest. Now im stuck staying at her place and she refuses to come to mine until its done brewing. Just wait until we move in together in the fall!!

Back