Why use a thermowell?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorglath

Reaction score
I searched and didn't see anything directly addressing this in the first page of results, so here is my question:

When converting my keggles into an electric brewing system, why would I choose to put my RTD temp probe into a thermowell instead of screwing the 1/2" NPT thread into a T that has the sight gauge on top. Is there an advantage to using a thermowell vs just screwing the RTD probe in directly that I am missing?

(the RTD sensors I have already have a 1/2" NPT thread)

IMO you wouldn't want an RTD probe in a thermowell at all, just put the RTD probe in the tee and leave it. Thermowells are used when your probe isn't waterproof (and the thermowell is), and/or are used to maintain sanitation. A typical stainless RTD probe wouldn't have either issue.

I couldn’t think of any great reasons to use a thermowell, so I just installed the probe itself as you are proposing.

I guess a couple things that people could be worrying about (not sure if these are valid, just ideas):

- Material of probe is not food safe
- Less likely to damage probe if in a thermowell
- Easily inserted and removed while maintaining waterproof if you are worried about threaded connections
- Probe is difficult to clean (doubt this one)

Thanks guys, just wondering if I was missing something. Also I guess they'd be useful for RTD probes with no threaded fitting, just wires dangling out the back of em :)

Back