Keep it or kill it? Quick Help Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I keep the yeast?

• RDWHAHB - Your beer was sour too, until it aged.

• Dump it...don't risk it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
OK, so I kegged my hefe a couple weeks ago and left the break and yeast trub in the sealed bucket hoping to reuse. I wanted to use it two weekends ago, but some things came up.

I opened the bucket today and it smelled sour, but there was no mold. So I whipped up some DME for a starter and siphoned out some of the leftover gunk from the bucket into the starter.

Now the starter is smelling a little tart and sour. This is supposed to be 3068 yeast. Should I keep it? I have some German Ale yeast in the fridge I could use instead for my weisenbock.

OK, just discovered that my German Ale yeast AND my 1056 are both frozen.

What do you guys think about me just dumping in two pints of Hefeweissen?

I think you would have a very slow start., but I'd do that and pitch the German Ale yeast.

david_42 said:
I think you would have a very slow start., but I'd do that and pitch the German Ale yeast.

The German Ale thawed out and I can now open the jar. I jave a mason jar full of the yeast, so I'll bet I can just dump that in the bucket, aerate the hell out of it, and say my prayer to Papa Charlie.

Back