How to store yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingoslo

Reaction score
Hello my friends,

I am wondering how to store yeast. Somebody told me that I could but them in the freezer, but surely that will just kill the poor yeast?

Thank you

Marius

Liquid Refrigerate! Dry Refrigerate,if you have several packs on hand. I throw my spares in the Veggie Drawer.

I have harvested this yeast from the pub, and I want to store it for a long time. How long can I store this maximum?

Marius

Do a search for "frozen yeast bank". It walks you though the process of preparing your yeast for the freezer. I've started doing that will all the liquid yeast I buy and it works great.

Many will say that ~1-2 months for refrigerated harvested yeast although I have some jars of yeast that I have harvested and used and re-harvested for 3 or 4 generations over the last 6-8months. I know this will not go on forever, and I will replace this yeast with fresh yeast here soon, but as long as aseptic technique is upheld, autolysis does not occur, and you dont get something funky, you should be ok for a few months.

Back