Pitched @ 88* - Oops. What Now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkey55

Reaction score
Ok. I'm making all kinds of mistakes.

I brewed my first non-Mr. Beer on 12/15. Since then, I've been reading and reading. So, I decided to look at my notes and saw that I pitched Nottingham at 88*. DOH!!

It was a Simple Stout by Justibone. Instead of using Munton's, I used Nottingham because LHBS didn't have any Muntons.

It was about 2.1gl and I used the whole packet (11grams). It's sitting in a closet and been at a constent 67 to 69*.

So, should I ride it out or re-pitch?

It took off within a few hours and krausen built up.

I don't have a hydrometer. So I can't take any readings.

Thanks
E

Just let ride.

88 is high but not to high. Also get a hydrometer and take the guess work out of fermentation.

If its cidery after you bottle it give it a time to bottle condition. I did the same thing, and time did that batch good. It was never awesome beer, but all the bottles ended up empty!

That small of a volume probably cooled down pretty quick. In the future, if this happens again, stick it in a tub of cool water to cool it down. You can also do this in the summer to keep it cool.

As said, let it ride. If it was too warm too long, you might get some fusel alcohol flavors in it, but those can mellow out a little bit with time. Either way, it'll be drinkable and if it cooled down quick enough, it should be just fine.

I did the same thing when I was starting out. My famous "green apple oatmeal stout."
Let it ride and plan on having it condition longer. Cold conditioning does wonders to round out any off flavors.

Thanks for the advice. I'll let it ride out. I sampled it today and it seemed ok. But I could tell that it wasn't done fermenting.

How does 3 weeks in the primary & 3 weeks for conditioning sound? Or does it need a longer conditioning time since it's a stout?

I just finished reading Revvy's Law of Conditioning and it sound like a batch that I have in the bottle right. I'm so tempted to dump it only because I'm using 1 liter PET bottles for my beer and am going to need them or the two batches I have fermenting right. I'll at least wait until Jan 4th to see if it heals itself.

E

I should have asked my wife for a hydrometer instead of a bottling bucket for Christmas.

I would add a week to the primary (4), and plan on bottle conditioning for a good 6 weeks. Test it along the way to see how it is, normally the last bottle is te best.

I can definitely do 4 weeks in the primary. BUT, I'm going to "HAVE TO" taste after two weeks. Who knows... I might have to some left at the 4 week mark for conditioning.. :D

E

Back