Does yeast add off flavors during aging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q2XL

Reaction score
I made my first mead on 3-28-10. I then transfered to secondary on April 10th. It is now aging on the lees. Will the yeast on the bottom affect the taste of the mead? If so, then should I rack to another carboy for more aging?

Sitting on the lees can provide great benefits to aroma and flavor, or it can lead to funky sulfur odors and bad yeasty taste. If you give us your recipe details we may be able to give some more insight. What yeast are you using?

Here is the recipe.

18lbs raw orangle blossom honey
10G Lalvin 71B yeast
9Grams Fermaid K
9G Dap
12G Go-Ferm
5G Potassium Phosphate

Nutrients added in 3 phases.

That is about it.

71B is a yeast that commonly produces off odors if you leave the mead on the lees. This is not a yeast I would choose for that purpose and I would suggest racking off the lees regularly (every 1-2 months) until clear.

D47 is excellent for lees aging. Even so, you have to be careful and monitor it closely or you can get off odors. Using a battonage protocol generally improves the odds of a good outcome.

D47 is excellent for lees aging. Even so, you have to be careful and monitor it closely or you can get off odors. Using a battonage protocol generally improves the odds of a good outcome.

Thanks! I thought I had seen this before about D-47. I generally let my meads go 4-6 in primary to let the lees settle and then transfer to secondary, then rack again once clear.

Im still a mead new bee..... whats the battonage protocol?

Back