Harvesting yeast from Fat Tire Cans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chask31

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am visiting my sister out in Arizona. I noticed the new Fat Tire cans in the market and bought a 12er. They say they are 'can conditioned'. I was wondering if anyone knows whether they use a different yeast or their regular yeast to condition. Can I harvest this yeast and finally have Fat Tire's elusive yeast to brew with?

Seems weird... the idea behind cans (besides being a better vessel) is making it more portable and take it more places than you can glass. Seems like journey would shake up that yeast and make for a cloudy beer... I'd do some more research on the definition of "can conditioned."

i know when I was there (New Belgium) for their AHA rally (great time if you can make it), we got some cans that were just filled. They were noticeably sweeter and slightly flatter than the finished product. The guys working on the canning line said that they would be "can conditioned" before distribution.

Instead of starting a new post, does anyone else have experience or knowledge of the NB yeast used to can condition their Fat Tire? If nothing else, it looks as if I will be the guinea pig; I have 4 cans to test-- from the other one's I consumed though, there was no detectable yeast presence when poured.

UPDATE:

Hi Kevin,

The yeast that we use to can condition Fat Tire cans is most likely the yeast we use for Fat Tire primary fermentation as well.

Sometime we switch it up based on yeast availability in production though.

Thanks for taking the time to contact us here at the brewery.

Cheers,

Christian Holbrook

Quality Analyst

Brewing Process & Raw Materials

New Belgium Brewing Company

Latest posts

Back