what is a protien rest ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nabeast

Reaction score
I have a recipe for a country ale and in the steeping grains part it says a protien rest.
If anyone can help me it would be appreciated.
Thanks Dan

what is it?

I dunno exactly...I guess you're "waking up" the proteins, but letting them "Rest" before they work?

not entirely sure what exactly the "Rest" means, but a lot of the wheat beers say to give the wheat a protein rest before begining the mash.

resting the wheat at 120-125 for the protein rest, then bring it up to 155 for the starch conversion.

wheat has a lot more protein than barley, which is why wheat beers are cloudy, and thus why you need to give the wheat a protein rest.

...but don't ask me what a protein rest actually means, or how the proteins are "resting"

Please post the directions. I don't see a logical reason for a protein rest for steeping grains. It's usually reserved for all grain with malts containing a high percentage protein. The rest will chop up the longer chains so it doesn't cloud the final beer.

Latest posts

Back