Less yield for damaged hop tip?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trevorc13

Reaction score
I have a cascade plant growing pretty strong, but when it hit about seven feet I tried to train it on a horizontal line. Of course the top snapped off! I know that it will grow side arms now which will grow hops, but did I decrease my hop yield because the tip broke, or will the plant compensate with hops below this line.

If it is a first year plant I would just write the harvest off and go have a beer and make sure some big neighborhood dog/skunk/woodchuck doesn't come by and dig it up. As long as it continues to grow this year you'll be fine next year.

As for the sidearms producing hops - I'm not really sure. I know that if the tip damage happens early in the year that the new growth close to the tip will begin to grow vegetatively and essentially take the place of the damaged tip. I also know that daylength plays a big part in telling the plant when to flower. Now that the days are getting shorter I would guess that any additional sidearm production would tend to be reproductive as opposed to vegetative growth. If it is a first year plant you really can't predict as I've seen then do all sorts of crazy stuff their first year. I'm sure there are a number of other factors that come into play but I'd just keep it as healthy as you can for the remainder of the season and, like the Indians/Browns fans say, "wait 'till next year."!

Back