Help with refractometer reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big-J2000

Reaction score
I need a little help deciphering a refractometer reading. My current batch is a Brewer's Best Belgian Tripel kit. Before I pitched, the reading was 1.080 (was supposed to be 1.083). When I transferred to secondary it was 1.043, and today it's still sitting at 1.043. I know the reading isn't accurate during fermentation, so I downloaded MoreBeer's refractometer spreadsheet to give me an accurate gravity reading. But when I entered the numbers it tells me I have an OG of 1.004 and an FG of 1.007 :confused:

As an aside, I did use a hydrometer for the first two readings (1.078 and 1.024 respectively) to compare with what I was getting on the refractometer. I didn't use one on the last reading due to the fact that I split the batch in two (1 gal racked onto some mangoes... just because) and lost about 3/4 of a gallon in the process (auto-syphon was clogged by me accidentally dropping it in the cake). Add to that the fact that because I get small draws out of the carboy with my wine thief, I didn't want to leave it exposed for too long. So any help on how to properly and accurately read a refractometer is much appreciated! Thanks a mint!

The morebeer spreadsheet requires an OG reading in BRIX units in order for the current/FG reading to be corrected. In other words, the starting gravity Brix field needs to be filled in by you.

Awesome, thanks guys! :D I apprecciate the help. Good to know I can come on here to get my questions answered.

Latest posts

Back