New Glarus Crack'd Wheat...wow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BogusOwnz

Reaction score
I have been on this huge hefeweizen kick for the last 6 weeks or so just trying everything I can read about and find. I decided to pick up a six pack of Crack'd Wheat while doing my grocery shopping up in Wisconsin since I read such good stuff about it. I cracked a couple open for my dad and I and poured them into a glass expecting another hefeweizen. Boy was I shocked when I got a citrus hoppiness out of the beer. The hefeweizen yeast and the amarillo dry hoping makes this such a unique and drinkable beer. If you live in Wisconsin or are near by this is a must try for the wheat beer lover.

I'm intrigued. I have a hefeweizen on deck to brew. I'm not a huge fan myself, but the guy I brew with loves them, so we do a few. From their website, it looks like New Glarus uses red wheat in their grain bill. Any comment on color or flavor from that?

The color when you pour it and after the yeast swirl is maybe a tiny bit of a deeper orange then a traditional hefe but it pretty much looks like a hefe in the glass. As far as flavor goes it's hard to make out of the red wheat has a distinct flavor imo. I might just not have an advanced enough palate.

Back