The first beer, six months later...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrapulencePants

Reaction score
I decided when I first started brewing to take two bottles of every batch and put them in "long term storage." This was so I could go back and taste my first creations compared to the beers I make now. The first six batches or so were done as partial boils in a canning pot, 3 gal. or so topped off in primary. Later I bought a 22 QT. SS kettle and have been able to do almost full boils. Last night I tried a Stone Ruination clone that I made for my second batch and compared it to the Stone Ruination clone I made about seven weeks ago. The difference is unbelievable! The old Ruination had almost no hop taste to it compared to the new one. Full boil does make a difference.

It's fun to go back and taste the beers you made in the beginning, that you thought were awesome, and see how far you've come in the brewing process. :mug:

Agreed! I still have bottles of just about everything I've made over the last couple of years (mead and beer) for comparison purposes. It's to hard to take the plunge and just open one sometimes :)

Keep in mind that hops really start to fade after 3 or so. You may notice the same thing if you drink a bottle from the current batch in 6+ months.

Latest posts

Back