For Peat's Sake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAK

Reaction score
I recently purchased 5 lbs of English peat smoked malt, which I intended to use in a smoked porter. After tasting it though, the peat character is not what I want, in THAT beer. I'll be sourcing another smoked malt for my porter, but I can't just let the peated malt go to waste. So, I figure I'll do something over the top that embraces the peat smoke.

I want to make a small, strong, 1.5-2 gal batch, and use the peat smoked malt as 100% of the base malt. I could even see doing a SMaSH; I don't want too much color. I was thinking about possibly adding something like Aroma malt and/or a bit of crystal. Possibly just a single bittering or FWH addition of Fuggles.

Does anyone have any suggestions about the other specialty malt additions?

Cheers

I wouldn't do it either, but someone else did: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f77/100-peated-ale-276443/

I did brew a stout that had 2 lbs in 4 gallons, which I then put on cherries. I wouldn't have wanted any more peat in it, but it was quite good. Peat malt is something a lot of people dislike in any quantity. Even those who like it, like myself, tend to be sparing with it.

I wouldn't do it either, but someone else did: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f77/100-peated-ale-276443/

I did brew a stout that had 2 lbs in 4 gallons, which I then put on cherries. I wouldn't have wanted any more peat in it, but it was quite good. Peat malt is something a lot of people dislike in any quantity. Even those who like it, like myself, tend to be sparing with it.

Thanks for posting this link. There's some folks on that thread on the same wavelength as me. I figured before I had nothing to loose but an oz of hops and some yeast. I considered it an exercise in frivolity. Now I'd go as far as to say I might even be stoked to brew this now. I think I'll try roasting a portion of the peated malt rather than adding something else for that character.

Back