Fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowhuntah

Reaction score
I found one for sale on craigslist. It appears to be made out of a full size fridge but there's little info in the add. What are some things I should ask the seller? BTW, the price is $225.

I would get the age, capacity, and interior measurements. Also, ask the seller what they did to make this fridge a ferm chamber ... custom wiring, reinforced shelving, etc., or just a cheap temp controller through the door?

If your looking to spend ~$200 on a ferm chamber, I would recommend an upright freezer. I built one for around $200, here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/dutch-s-cadillac-fermentation-chamber-build-251579/

I bought a used vertical freezer that I use as a fermentation chamber for $1. I bought a new freezerless refrigerator for $189 that I use to cold-crash batches (and store extra food from the family's weekly costco shopping trip.) You should be able to get a free or low cost "hot" box and even a free refrigerator from CL.

Back