Forgot about the starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisjrp4

Reaction score
I just realized I forgot to make a starter for the Wyeast 2112 I'm pitching tomorrow when I brew. I don't have any malt extract. Do I forget the starter and pitch the "propagator" pack into the wort, or make my wort, pull a liter and use that as the starter? If I make the full volume of wort and pull a liter for a starter will the remaining wort be ok in the carboy for 24 hrs?

I've pitched smack packs into 1.060+ worts without a problem. Starters are great, but you can get by fine without them if you want to IMHO.

Edit: just looked at some of my BrewSmith records. I pitched a 1056 into a 1.079 IPA without issue.

Since you're typically on the cooler side of things with 2112, I would pull 2 liters of wort to make a starter, and ferment the starter at your intended fermentation temp. Once the starter is complete (1-2 days), pitch the whole thing into the wort.
Since I've converted to no-chill, this is what I do with most brews that need a starter.

My starting gravity is 1.054. I switched to dry yeast for nearly all my brews over a year ago. What a pleasure to be able to pitch without worry of a starter.

My starting gravity is 1.054. I switched to dry yeast for nearly all my brews over a year ago. What a pleasure to be able to pitch without worry of a starter.

I just made the same jump 3 batches ago... I love it

Just throw it in there and don't worry about it. It'll take a little longer to get going, but it'll still get the job done.

. . . I would pull 2 liters of wort to make a starter, and ferment the starter at your intended fermentation temp.
Do you just use the wort the way it is (1.054 gravity for this one) or dilute it to the 1.030-1.040 that's recommended for starters?

I'd either do a small mash today and start the starter, or buy some DME and delay brewing. Those propagator packs are not designed to be pitched into wort- even Wyeast says not to. I think you'd have some very stressed yeast, a very long lag time, etc.

Even with the Activator pack, a starter is recommended. With a propagator pack, it's crucial.

From Wyeast's website:

Propagator™ packages are designed for and require a propagation step (starter culture) before brewing.

Propagator™ packages contain live yeast cells in a liquid slurry. This yeast slurry is packaged in an optimum condition for storage, while maintaining the ability for rapid and complete fermentation.

Propagator™ packages include a sterile liquid nutrient pouch that, when “smacked”, releases its contents into the yeast slurry and “activates” the package. The available nutrients initiate the culture’s metabolism which in turn generates CO2 and causes swelling of the package. This process will reduce lag times by preparing the yeast for a healthy fermentation prior to inoculation. Activation also serves as a viability test of the culture. Expansion of the package is an indicator of healthy (viable and vital) yeast. Although beneficial, cultures do not need to be activated prior to inoculation.

Usage

The Propagator™ package contains a minimum of 25 billion cells in a yeast slurry. This volume is not adequate for direct pitching into 5 gallons of wort and requires a 1-2 L propagation step prior to brewing. The Propagator™ is designed, when propagated in a 1-2 liter “starter” culture, to inoculate 5 gallons of standard strength ale wort (1.034-1.060 SG) with professional pitching rates. For lagers, we recommend pitching the starter culture into the wort at warm temperatures (68-70°F/ 20-21°C), waiting for signs of fermentation, and then adjusting to the desired temperature. Alternatively, for pitching into cold conditions (34-58°F/ 1-14°C) or higher gravity wort, we recommend increasing this pitching rate further by performing additional propagation steps. Please see the Pitch Rate section for additional information.

I'd either do a small mash today and start the starter, or buy some DME and delay brewing. Those propagator packs are not designed to be pitched into wort- even Wyeast says not to. I think you'd have some very stressed yeast, a very long lag time, etc.

+1 on delaying the brewing if you are able to, in order to do a starter.

If you're not going to delay, though, and your choices are between pitching the liquid yeast as is or holding the wort for a day or two while the starter builds, I would pitch the yeast.

Everything that Yooper says is right, but back before I knew any better, I pitched liquid yeast without a starter and ended up with good beer. But of course, this isn't a right or wrong question - just preferences.

Good luck!

I've never noticed that Wyeast had two different packages with different yeast cell counts. Wonder which ones I've used in the past? :D

I've never noticed that Wyeast had two different packages with different yeast cell counts. Wonder which ones I've used in the past? :D

That's the issue- they have two very different products in very similar containers. The Activator is ok without a starter, but the propagator has 1/4 the yeast. It's only about $1 less, though- so it's not a very good deal for the consumer.

I have a question about a yeast starter that I made about 8pm EST on Sunday. It showed no activity until last night Monday. This morning it has a slight krausen that is getting bigger. I used a farmed yeast( Londan Ale ) to start it. I have to brew this later today around 1 or so. My question is should I use this slow starter or just go with a dry back up yeast that I have laying around. The temp that starter is in is 69 deg. Thanks for responding. Rob

You should be just fine to use the starter you made. The yeast is currently active and growing and I expect you have more happy yeasties in that starter than you do in the dry pack. Starters usually aren't as vigorous as a full fermentation.

The decision has been made...the Propagator package hasn't swolen at all. I told myself if the package was swolen I'd throw it in. I guess I'm pulling a starter.

Back