Megapot is here

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neomich

Reaction score
I got my Megapot yesterday. I think it's a 40 quart and this thing is solid and heavy. I can't wait to see it in action soon. I can finally do 5-gallon full boils outside on my turkey fryer. I'm breaking it in with a AHS Belgian Quad hopefully on Memorial day.

Question though, after boiling on my turkey fryer, the bottom of the pot has a bunch of black soot. Anyone got some tips on getting that stuff off easily?

I have to store everything inside the guest bathroom closet and SWMBO would not be happy if that stuff got onto something.

You could try some oven cleaner to get the soot off.

In the future, rub the bottom of the pot with a cheap bar of soap. After your brewday is done, the soot should then wash off easily.

You should be adjusting the vent on the burner to reduce or eliminate the soot which is a sign of incomplete combustion. Then you don't have to worry about how to clean it. Bar Keepers friend might be your best bet.

You could try some oven cleaner to get the soot off.

In the future, rub the bottom of the pot with a cheap bar of soap. After your brewday is done, the soot should then wash off easily.

A mixture of dishsoap in water, sprayed onto the outside of your kettle before brewing w/ a spray bottle, will also make it extremely easy to clean the soot off.

If you are getting soot it is an air mixture issue. Make sure your flame is blue all the way to the tip. You will still get scorch marks, but there should not be any soot.

Back