When is that yeast active on the stir-plate...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Misplaced_Canuck

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
NE Columbia SC - Formerly, Montreal Canada
I've been trying to figure out when my yeasts are active on the stirplate. Some of them are pretty obvious (Wyeast 1968 comes to mind), but others, it's like watching paint dry (minus the fumes).

One thing I've noticed, though, is that I always seem to get some condensation on the (in)sides of my flasks after a day or so.

I started 2 flasks, about the same volume, on 2 stir-plates. This morning, one flask had condensation, the other didn't (yet).

Is this a decent sign of yeast activity?

M_C

when yeast relases CO2 it also goes through an exothemic reaction, releasing heat. So, to me, I think this is a definite sign of yeast activity.

I got condensation with straight water when I was testing my homemade stir plate.
As I have only made my first yeast starter, I was wondering the same question.

FWIW, mine looked like the starter on the right in this video.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/user/jpboileau#p/a/u/1/WvrUkqWAwYs[/ame]

All right, that's good to know. Now if I don't see condensation after 24-48 hours, I know my yeast is kaput. :D

M_C

I made a small starter from a WLP300 vial that was over a year outdated. It took almost 4 days to gets started. I stepped it up a second time before use. If there is any question about the yeast's viability, just be patient.

I made a small starter from a WLP300 vial that was over a year outdated. It took almost 4 days to gets started. I stepped it up a second time before use. If there is any question about the yeast's viability, just be patient.

Tell me about it. I have a Wyeast 1007 that has pre-puffed (partially, on its own), and at 40 hours it's not active. We'll see where it goes. It did create condensation but it's not active.

M_C

I can usually tell because it starts getting milky lookin and you can smell the c02 .. You dont want your starters to go more than 24 hours according to white labs theres a video on here somebody posted about it

I can usually tell because it starts getting milky lookin and you can smell the c02 .. You dont want your starters to go more than 24 hours according to white labs theres a video on here somebody posted about it

I know the video you refer to however they are talking there about a typical case. Where you are looking at extremely fatigued yeast or unknown quality/quantity of yeast you have to step out side the regular practices.

I usually will leave my starters on the stir plate until they show a milky color change. This means that the yeast are trying to flocculate out and have done most of what they are going to do. The time this will take will vary and from my experiments it seems to be related to how big a step you are doing and the strain of yeast.

So if you a doing a healthy vial/smackpack into a 1-2L starter it will only take a few hrs to show signs and maybe 12-18hrs to be done. However if you are stepping from a slant or a very harshly treated vial/smakpack where the cell count is very low it will take a lot longer to finish as the sugar/nutirent:cell count ratio is much greater they have more room to expand. Some day I will test this theory with putting a single cell colony into a 1L flask (that has been pressure cooked) and see how long it takes to finish the starter, that might be a while as I have packed my stir plates, flasks and brew stuff for my move... Hawaii to Gettysburg PA no brewing for two months:(.

The amount of yeast in a given volume of starter is determined by the amount of sugar/O2/nutrient level, as long as they have those component I think they will keep growing. Now we cannot just make a 1.090 starter (as that will weaken the yeast) or push the nutrient levels too high (some compounds that are needed for yeast growth could become toxic at higher levels). So if we were to use a constant step up or constant vial to starter volume ratio you could get a more consistent time frame but as you really don't have any idea how healthy your purchased yeast is (one of the reasons for doing a starter in the first place) I guess we will just have to play the wait and see game. I take the lag time of my starters (if using my normal step up routine) as an indication of yeast health.

Clem

Well my starter of Wyeast 1007 was a dud. After 3 days on the stir plate and 2 days off the plate at room temperature, no yeast smell. I will taste it tonight to see if it's still sweet or not.

JP

Yep, tasted it last night. DUD. Note to self: Don't leave a wyeast smack pack in the car at 100F+. Oops.

M_C

The fallen friends death turned into a success. I reboiled the starter briefly, cooled, and pitched a healthy vial of Wyeast 1028.

I now have fermentation. I finally figured that if the fermentation is active, there will be tiny bubbles swirling around when on the stir-plate. I had to turn off the stirrer briefly and I saw the bubbles rising.

M_C

Back