Nail Polish Remover

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBHoss

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brew help. Took a sample of my Boston Red today and the initial smell and taste was that of nail polish remover. Any ideas where that would come from? It's been sitting in the fermenter for 2 months. Otherwise it's clear and the aftertaste is fine.

I would guess some compound similar to acetate was produced by a wild bacteria or yeast. You might want to post this in the science forum to get a more precise answer.

Had it happen with a hefe once, my only infected batch. Not sure if it was using foil over the carboy opening after fermentation started or direct pitching washed yeast with no starter or bad yeast. I trashed the other cans of yeast and will never attempt to pitch liquid yeast without a starter again, and "open" fermentation is out as well. FYI the smell and taste did NOT go away!

I've experienced it most not due to infection, but due to high fermentation temps.

SOLVENTLIKE

CHARACTERISTICS: An acetone-like, laquer-thinner-like, pungent, acrid aroma which is followed up by a harsh, burning sensation on the tongue and possibly the back of the throat.

CHEMISTRY: Ethyl acetate in larger quantities (>33 ppm) is the primary cause, either by wild yeast or the yeast strain used. Other compounds may also be present.

HIGH LEVELS DUE TO PROCESS: Wild yeast contamination due to poor sanitation; high fermentation temperature; non-food grade plastic equipment in contact with the beer; open fermenter, especially after high kraeusen subsides; excessive oxygenation of the wort before pitching; oxygen in secondary fermenter.

LOW LEVELS DUE TO PROCESS: Good sanitization of equipment; only food-grade plastic used; cooler fermentation temperatures; proper wort oxygenation; closed fermenter.

Edit:

I think I might have an infected batch. I'll let it sit til I need the keg in the remote hopes it's just hot esters that might age out, but I think I used the whisk for the wort without sanitizing it first.

If you you didn't dump it right away Hoss, did age help at all?

Edit:

I think I might have an infected batch. I'll let it sit til I need the keg in the remote hopes it's just hot esters that might age out, but I think I used the whisk for the wort without sanitizing it first.

If you you didn't dump it right away Hoss, did age help at all?
Might be better to send Hoss a pm. You do know this thread is from a year and a half ago right? =)

~SB

Might be better to send Hoss a pm. You do know this thread is from a year and a half ago right? =)

~SB

I've been told by a couple more regular type posters not to start a new thread (and imho...I try to not overuse the PM feature) but just to post on the old one. I appreciate you're feedback though...I just knew hoss was still posting regularly and that this might pop up on his subscribed threads.

Tks for the reply Hoss! If misery loves company, I think I may have two batches with the same affliction..though I'm nearly certain it's not high ferm temps because I'm using a chest freezer w/ two way temp control.

You're welcome and PM me anytime. Good luck with it. Since I've been more attentive to the fermentation temps I've not had another batch with that problem. I know there are other reasons for it but I think it solved mine.

I've been told by a couple more regular type posters not to start a new thread (and imho...I try to not overuse the PM feature) but just to post on the old one...
Thanks for the heads up on that. I'm new here and guidance is appreciated.

~SB

Back