anise extarct in my licorice stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1ratdog

Reaction score
im attempting to brew something along the lines of bells kalamazoo stout.
i boiled half a licorice stick in the wort.
i sampled a week later when i racked to secondary, there was no licorice taste. its been in the secondary 2 weeks and im ready to bottle.
i checked the gravity 2day 1.016, and tasted the sample still no licorice.
im thinking og adding anise extract to the bottling bucket.
how much?

Add it to taste. It might be worth pulling off a sample and dosing it with the extract to make sure you like the flavor. Once you find the right level for the sample scale up to the whole batch. Good luck.

ive been on the mad fermentationist web site alot. excellent. i enjoy alot. im going to be making old ben ale using your recipe, probably sunday gonna brew it. keep up the awesome site. thanx

poor richard ale sorry. getting confused. drinkin some sam adams longshots here. if you havnt tried the old ben ale. you must.
you should try to brew and post the recipe.
p.p.p.please :)

I'm guessing anise extract would be like hazelnut extract: very strong. I'm guessing the max you will want to use is 1 teaspoon.

beernik
thats kinda wat i think im gunna do except since i already added half a licorice stick to the boil i think im gunna add half a teaspoon at bottling time and pray

Latest posts

Back