Does Cider Skunk like beer????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOHN51277

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows if cider will skunk with uv light the same as beer will???? I have alot of corona bottles which I wanted to use to botttle the cider with????

From what I have read its the hops that interact with the UV which skunks the beer. I am just looking for some more input.

I haven't tried to brew cider-yet. No source for cheap apple juice around here. I'd guess no hops, no skonk...

I bottle my last batch in some Corona bottles and haven't had a problem. I do try keep them from being exposed to light, but haven't been anal about it. I keep them in a rubbermade with a lid that doesn't quite close so they've got to be getting some light exposure.

IIRC, the primary chemicals in beer that skunk when exposed to sunlight are from the hops (as you've noted), so theoretically it should be safe. I can't say I've ever tasted a skunked cider, commercial or otherwise, either.

Back