Need to make sure this one will work for???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nmikmik

Reaction score
I kept scrambling for the right size freezer for my project. 7 or even 8.8 cu ft freezers seemed to be too small for what I am going to use it for - 1/4 kegs hopefully three or four of them. Found this one "Signature" (probably built by the same company that built all of them) on the craigslist for $100. I just can't afford a $500+ freezer that I still have an opportunity to mess up. Trying to see if I can convert this one and of course there is not telling how long will it last. But with someone having more experience with this things, maybe you can tell if it's close to been recycled. Please note the corrosion on the lines & take into consideration I will be using it outside in California, but still outside. Is there any way to stop/protect them from corroding even further? WD40? silicone spray?
I am also hoping to find the perimeter dimensions of the 14 cu ft Frigidaire or Kenmore or whatever so I can compare to this thing. Since I will be making a collar for it, if the freezer croaks, I am hoping to still be able to reuse the collar.
I recall bumping into a sizing chart once before but now can't find it and I don't recall if there was such size freezer. So if someone can give me his (fairly current or currently available) 14-15 cu ft freezer perimeter sizing outside and the inside, surely would be appreciated.

compressed compressor.jpg

corroded lines.jpg

corrosion 2.jpg

Tough to say from the pics...an older freezer could last a week and half or ten years IME. 1/4 kegs I believe are 11 1/4" dia FYI for sizing and capacity. I have found that a mix of 1/6 kegs and 1/4 kegs increases capacity as the nest in the keezer.

Thanks!
That's where I actually started from the 1/6 kegs when I was looking at 7.2 Frigidaire, but even at 9" kegs there's not much fits in that freezer.

Since I am building this one anyway.
I see some people moving the hinge or install another hinge on the bottom of the collar. This is the way I'd prefer to have it - I think. Reason been, I am triying to limit the height of lumbering the kegs over the edge. and it looks (at last from the pictures of other conversions) there is less chance of hitting something important :mug: when loading the keezer. Is there a better way of sealing between the top surface of the keezer and the bottom surface of the collar? Should I try moving the original (although bit old) seal from the lid to the bottom of the collar?
Any other suggestions?
Thanks,

Back