fermentation temp way too high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toecutter

Reaction score
so yesterday i made a new batch of Ed Worts Amber Ale. I drained the wort at about 80 dg into my fermentation bottle that sits in my converted chest freezer. The temp inside was 45 dg. its been cold here this week, so I was worried that it would get too cold to ferment with Nottingham if i turned on the freezer . so i pitched last night about 5:00 pm wort was about 70 dg. I closed the lid, but did not turn on the freezer. well i just got home, and its bubbling alright, but wort temp is 90 dg. not sure why its so hot. guess i should have turned on the freezer. Am i screwed and should dump it ??. I just turned on the freezer down to 40 dg so it should cool it.not sure if its too late in the cycle. the krusin did not look thick, mostly like dish soap bubbles. Am i screwed ??

Never dump anything. Ever.

It might not taste how it was intended, but it might be great.

so yesterday i made a new batch of Ed Worts Amber Ale. I drained the wort at about 80 dg into my fermentation bottle that sits in my converted chest freezer. The temp inside was 45 dg. its been cold here this week, so I was worried that it would get too cold to ferment with Nottingham if i turned on the freezer . so i pitched last night about 5:00 pm wort was about 70 dg. I closed the lid, but did not turn on the freezer. well i just got home, and its bubbling alright, but wort temp is 90 dg. not sure why its so hot. guess i should have turned on the freezer. Am i screwed and should dump it ??. I just turned on the freezer down to 40 dg so it should cool it.not sure if its too late in the cycle. the krusin did not look thick, mostly like dish soap bubbles. Am i screwed ??

There's a good chance that the early stages were at a lower and more appropriate temp, so you might be fine. A long primary prior to crash chilling would be recommended to mellow any stressed out yeast flavours. Give it 3 weeks on the yeast cake at the recommended temp range. I think it will be fine. Don't dump it

:mug:

After Kegging it if you have room in your kegerator just let it sit for a while and taste it every once in a while the fusel alcohols tend to slowly go away, at least in my situation. Good luck

I turned the keezer way down to lower the wort temp and slow the fermentation down, so hopefully the yeast did not burn through it that quick.

Back