Blender on DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evandam

Reaction score
Anyone ever use a MIXER (not blender) when adding DME? Any reason not to?

I think something is lost in translation here. Give us more info - maybe a picture - and we can be of better advice.

I'm guessing he means a stick blender. No real to that I can see; add the DME gradually, it dissolved pretty easily. Last thing you want to do is start flinging wort around the kitchen.

Maybe he means something like this? Would work great I imagine as long as you keep it below the surface so you don't get a lot of aeration.

waring_wsb33.jpg

Sorry it appears that was unclear and I meant mixer, not blender. Lets try this again.

Anyone ever used a mixer when adding DME to water to aid in getting it mixed in properly and faster.

olllllo said:
Now we are talking!

b_TowableConcreteMixersTowBehindConcreteMixersDieselPowered-Imer350DDieselCementMixer.jpg

Reminds me of the Northern Brewer ads in recent Jamil Show podcasts...

[bad scottish accent] You can't make a ****ing Scottish 80/- by throwing in ****ing hops like you're mixing ****ing cement with ****ing hops for gravel, you ****ing ****! [/bad scottish accent]

and just to pull an actual answer out of my joke post. I can't imagine it is necessary unless you are talking about a 20+ gallon batch where scale comes into play.

Always just seems like it takes longer that it should have to. I thought power tools are always good. :)

Many people "experiment" with a long-shafted paint stirrer attached to a power drill.

But for the amount of $ and effort vs the amount of work the "old way" takes, I'd be tempted to stick with spoon.

You can purchase, for not much money, a cordless handheld mixer, which also comes with a whisk attachment. I normally use a whisk when adding DME, so this might make it a little easier. A whisk is not likely to splash much, unless you are a total retard about using it.

I've used a wire wisk. But only when I add it faster than maybe I should- and it gums up a bit. Patience and a slower addition is def. the best practice. Its a pain how clumpy and gummy it gets when exposed to the moisture of evaporating wort!

Latest posts

Back