Aging fruity esthers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingers

Reaction score
I brewed some extract batches last April and they got exposed to some extreme temperatures. So much so that the fruity taste was undrinkable. I'd heard a couple of theories on how to remedy this and managed to find one that I can confirm works.

One theory was to simply let the beer age and the other was to add sugar for the yeast and let it clean up the bad by-products. I decided to to just put these kegs aside for awhile and see what happens.

So I tapped one tonight and the beer is amazing! There is still some of the fruit in the nose, but it doesn't translate into the palate. The bittering hops have mellowed singnificantly in the bite but balance the percieved fruitiness very nicely. This allows the malt to hit the back of the throat with a very nice late hop taste to mix a little with that fruity nose.

Oh, by the way this is a pale ale that I made for a good session ale. I have a feeling that it won't make it to the summer... again.

I can't comment on whether adding dextrose would work, but I can say that waiting 10 months does. I can also say that it's really exciting to have an extra 10 gallons of very nice pale ale on tap that is more or less a freebie!

I let my Belgians age so they develop fruity notes. Some of the alcohol mellows out and makes nice cherry, apricot, and fig notes...

Back