Cold break / plate chiller question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArnooBrew

Reaction score
Folks,

Is it possible to get a cold break & leave it behind in the boil kettle when using a plate chiller? I can see how it would be possible using an immersion chiller, but how is it possible using a plate chiller?

Many thanks,
Arnoo

You can recirculate through the chiller then let the break settle out via whirlpool, or you can filter after the chiller, or you can let it settle out in your fermenter. Cold crashing helps the latter option. I do it the last way mentioned and always get clean tasting clear beer (if that's what I'm going for). Never had off favors or aesthetics from it. Gotta be sure to clean the chiller really well after each use though as the gunk likes to build up in the nooks and crannies of the chiller.

... you can filter after the chiller, or you can let it settle out in your fermenter. Cold crashing helps the latter option.

Just clarifying on this option. If I whirlpool then transfer to the fermenter through the plate chiller, is cold crashing an extra step before pitching the yeast? Or does cold break just join the other trub and get left behind when I ultimately rack out of my fermenter?

Many thanks,
Arnoo

Whirlpool for several minutes in the kettle, let the wort settle for about 20 minutes, pump the wort off the break material and through the chiller.

Latest posts

Back