Primary, secondary, tertiary????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJBrewer

Reaction score
This is my fifth brew and I'm not sure if it's ever going to finish. Im doing a Hefeviezen and Started it on January 8, a little over a month ago. The OG was right on at 1.047, and the FG was supposed to be 1.012. It sat in the primary for a week and then I moved it to the secondary. At that time the SG was 1.020 and a week later it was still 1.020. I called my supplier and got some advice and a week after that it was still at 1.020. I called my supplier again and they suggested adding some bru vigor, which I did and it took off again. Now, after four weeks from the start, the FG is 1.011, so .001 less than it should be, which, as far as I know is fine.

Here's the thing though. Now, my batch is all clouded up again, there's no foam and no visible action going on. Should I just leave it alone to settle and clear up or should I move it to another Carboy for about a week to clean it up in preparation for bottling?

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

Hefeweizen (yeast beer) is supposed to be cloudy. From the BJCP guidelines, "The high protein content of wheat impairs clarity in an unfiltered beer, although the level of haze is somewhat variable. A beer “mit hefe” is also cloudy from suspended yeast sediment (which should be roused before drinking)." Hefeweizen yeast is traditionally has low flocculation which means it stays in suspension contributing cloudiness. If you have a bright hefe, it's usually a sign that the beer is old.

Latest posts

Back