First 2 all grain batches - efficiency and temp ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redpiper

Reaction score
I just finished my second all grain batch. First time I batch sparged, second I tried fly sparging. In both cases I ended up with about 58% efficiency.

I suspect my main culprit is my cooler. I lose about 18 degrees over the hour even with blankets around it. Would this be a big efficiency factor? I couldn't find anything definitive when I searched.

Today I was 160 when I closed the cooler and 142 when I opened it.

I guess I'll have to buy a new cooler as mine is pretty old and probably too big! "Okay, SWMBO, so there actually is just one more thing I need...again. Bet you're glad you bought me that Mr. Beer kit two years ago!"

I would bet that it has more to do with your grain crush than your cooler losing temperature. How are you crushing your grain? Do you have any pictures of the crushed grain? How long are you letting the mash rest? Do you preheat the cooler with warm/hot water before mashing?

Stir really well and take the temp in several spots. I'm guessing that you didn't lose 18 deg and had diff "hot spots" in the grain bed. Just a thought.

Grain was crushed by LHBS in their mill so not sure exactly. But seems to work for them and the locals.

I didn't pre-warm tun, but did bucket in and stirred, then added additionally heated water and stirred. Temp at 160. Left for an hour. Opened and stuck thermo in for new temp. Didn't probe around to check different spots though.

Sorry, no pics of crushed grain.

Stir really well and take the temp in several spots. I'm guessing that you didn't lose 18 deg and had diff "hot spots" in the grain bed. Just a thought.

This was my first thought too. Don't be afraid to sit there and stir it for a good long time. You won't lose much heat by having the top off. I'd also suggest pre-warming the cooler. I overshoot my strike temp, dump it in the cooler and THEN wait for the temp to come down to my proper strike temp and add the grain. Then stir like hell.

Also, the grain will absorb some heat. So if your strike water is 160 and you have 15 lbs of grain that's at room temperature, then the strike water will drop close to ten degrees solely due to all the grain. Not preheating the MT will further drop the temps. Coolers tend to be good insulators by design, so losing 18 degrees sounds extreme. I preheat my cooler with a gallon or so of hot tap water while my strike water heats up. Then I'll overshoot my target temp for my strike water by about ten degrees then stir in grain, I usually end up where I want. For example, if my target mash temp is 150, I'll heat the strike water to 160, drain it into the cooler then stir in the grain. In the course of 60 minutes I might lose one degree on a 10 gallon industrial round cooler, although, this is brewing indoors...so YMMV.

Back