Rookie All Grain Brewer Needs Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkybuddha

Reaction score
So I'm not entirely sure I am posting in the right forum, but I posted here a few weeks back and everyone was incredibly helpful.

I just picked up a 2 two system and I am pretty psyched to start my first batch. My question is this, if I have an extra pump, what do I need to do (or get) to have a recirculating mash. Is it even that necessary? If I don't use one, how often should I be stirring the mash?

Also, someone told me about starting the yeast early. What is the best and easiest way to do this.

Thanks in advance for any help. I am sure these seem like elementary questions to most of you, so I appreciate any advice. This will be my first all grain brew!

Welcome aboard! I think you are jumping the gun just a tad. Not that there's anything wrong with diving right in, but you can avoid many of the common problems if you do some reading first. Here's a good place to start. It's a free download of John Palmer's "How to Brew".

How to Brew - By John Palmer

You haven't given us enough information about your system for us to make any meaningful suggestions. Mash circulaton systems cover a variety of designs, both gas and electric, so a lot depends on how you choose to configure your system. The variations are myriad and you seldom see two setups alike.

Palmer's book has information on how to make a starter. Here's another source:

Proper Yeast Pitching Rates

You can also search topics here for even more info.

Back