Longer length of hose, any changes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huknbuk

Reaction score
Hi,
I recently upgraded to kegging, love the ease. When I got my equipment (from morebeer), I hooked everything up and had beer ready to go, so kegged and carbed it right away. The very first bit of it I tried was terrible, had a plastic, almost fruity taste to it. I thought it could be an error I made or the yeast, but the second glass was ok. I concluded that it was the hose, each time it sat for any significant amout of time, it got this awful flavor, I would have to waste a few ounces, then it was ok.

Anyway...I emailed morebeer and received a very fast response, they sent me new hose and upgraded to the "Superflex" kind (very, very fast and good service).

It came today. The original hose was 5' long this one is about 8 to 9 feet. Is there going to be any noticeable change due to the length? Will it be better or worse? Obviously in can be made shorter, but I'm sure that won't be neccesary, just wondering if there are any adjustments I should make.

The increased length will add resistance, and you'll be able to have a slightly higher serving pressure without foaming up.

I think 8-9 feet of 3/16" line is just about perfect for the typical home installation. I'd try it as is, you can always make it shorter.

Back