Can adding yeast to early hurt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Towers

Reaction score
Ok, what I really mean is. Can adding my yeast before the temp of my wort gets below 80 degrees affect the alcohol content of my final product? I'm sure it can, but I just wanted to ask here to make sure. I brewed a batch last week and after adding my ice to cool it, I only had it down to 100 degrees. I waited about 10 mins and it hadn't dropped much. I know I'm supposed to yet my yeast in there quickly and get it sealed so bacteria doesn't have time to get in, so I went ahead and added it at around 95 degrees.

It won't change the alcohol content of your beer at all. ABV is determined by the amount of fermentables you have, not when you pitch your yeast. You would have the same ABV whether you pitched two yeast cells in there, or 200 million cells. (The first would just take LOTS longer).

The problem with pitching too warm is that you first of all may kill the yeast if it's too hot, and secondly you can have some really nasty off-flavors from a too hot/warm fermentation. Things like fusel alcohols, esters, etc usually are created at that kind of temperature. It'll take off faster, but that's not necessarily a good thing!

Next time, wait until 70 degrees (keep the pot in an ice bath until under 100 degrees, and then add cool water or your ice so it cools fast) and then pitch it.

Ya, that's what I had intended on doing. But like I said... I ran out of ice, he he. Ok, well, thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure to stock up on ice next time.

the best thing i did for myself was buy a wort chiller. you can get one for $50 or so, or make one. it'll ease your mind and cool your wort. i got an immersion style

:mug: I bought a small utility sink for 20$ at the hardware store. I put it out in my lawn, put the brew pot in turn the hose on and add frozen water bottles around it. I can cool 8 gals. down in about 45 mins. I gently stir every 10 mins. or so. Not as effective as a chiller I guess. But it works for me so far. Plus the sink comes in handy for cleaning all the brewing stuff outside where SWMBO can't complain about a mess in the kitchen.:mug:

Then what is the average time to chill a 5 gallon batch down to 70 degrees? I was under the assumption that I need to do it within like 10-15 mins

Oh, yes, it's best to do it within 20 minues. You get a really good cold break that way, which gives you clearer beer, and helps to minimize chances for infection and off-flavors.

Back