Swa-2441 pid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DNKDUKE

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've looked through the posts and cannot find any information here on anyone using the Auber SWA2441 PID.
I've been given a couple of them and wondered if they'll work for a control panel or if they're junk for brewing.
Thanks.

But despite that, you might still be able to find a use for them. Maybe as readouts for temperature sensors that don't control anything, or to control something that doesn't switch often (bringing a HLT up to temperature - set up the PID parameters so they just work as a thermostat, and use a DC supply to give the SSR control voltage?).

The relay inside is usually driven by a 5 volt pulse. I removed the relay on one I have and jumpered the output to drive a solid state relay. Worked great.

Could I use the timer function from these on a PID(2352) that might need an external timer?

I guess you could wire the SSR output of another PID through the relay and use the timer feature to cut off the control signal when required.

One last question...
What is the difference/benefits between an SSR and a contactor?

A contactor is an electro-mechanical relay ideally suited for switching high currents/voltages at low rates. Switching contactors at high rates will lead to early failure. Contactors have zero leakage when off, so are good for providing safety isolation of high voltages. Contactors have very little internal resistance, so generate almost no heat in use. Thus they do not require heat sinks or special cooling.

An SSR is a completely electronic switch ideally suited for switching high currents/voltages at high rates. Since there are no mechanical components to wear, or contacts to degrade due to arcing, they can switch millions of times. SSR's have significant leakage (mA) when off, so they are not effective at truly isolating high voltages for safety purposes. SSR's also have significant internal resistance, so generate heat when conducting high currents. Thus they require heat sinks to keep them from overheating. Running an SSR too hot will reduce its life.

Brew on :mug:

Best practice is to use both. A PID controls an SSR with one hot leg running through it. Both hot legs run through a DPST, NO contactor activated by a switch. For the element to fire the switch must be turned on to close the contactor and the PID must be signaling the SSR to close. Since SSRs leak current and can fail closed, this is a way to know that "Off means off."

Best practice is to use both. A PID controls an SSR with one hot leg running through it. Both hot legs run through a DPST, NO contactor activated by a switch. For the element to fire the switch must be turned on to close the contactor and the PID must be signaling the SSR to close. Since SSRs leak current and can fail closed, this is a way to no that "Off means off."

+1 (except ' this is a way to no that "Off means off." ' should be ' this is a way to know that "Off means off." ') Sorry to pick on your typo, but this point is important enough that there should be no risk of misunderstanding.

jeff...
Understood and agree but I'm talking about a PID that won't work with an SSR but only a controller.

Are you trying to justify having a marginal design to save $50 on a $500 plus system? A contactor will have a short life used with a cycle time suitable for electric brewing. A longer cycle time may lead to temperature instability or scorching (depending on your element watt density.) Use an SSR to control the element. If you want to use the PID in hand, then tap into the PID's relay control signal to drive the SSR (earlier post in thread showed or linked to how to do it.)

Agree 100%
Sometimes people need to talk things out outloud with people who've been there. Ya'll have been very helpful.
Thank you.

+1 (except ' this is a way to no that "Off means off." ' should be ' this is a way to know that "Off means off." ') Sorry to pick on your typo, but this point is important enough that there should be no risk of misunderstanding.

No apologies necessary. Edited accordingly.

Latest posts

Back