midwest oatmeal stout modfications

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaos2984

Reaction score
Well i made my first batch of oatmeal stout and it came out good people like it. Nice and dark and good stout head. It tasted good and all. But i thought it was lacking something or missing something. I left it 2 weeks in the primary and 1 week in the secondary before i put it in the keg.

I want to brew it again. But i want to make some modifications to the kit. I want to change the steeping grains that come in the kit. I want to add more oats to it and get more of an oatty chewy taste to the brew. I noticed that there was not much oats in the steeping grains

What do you guys think about this

I went off a 5 gallon recipe that called for 8oz of oats. I did a 4 gallon batch but used 12oz of oats. Best oatmeal stout I've brewed out of 4. I say go for it... I think I read that you don't want to exceed 30% of your grain bill which would be a lot of oats.

i don't know. It was a midwest extract kit. i stopped in the local brew store and talked to them about it. He said to really get the oatty flavor out of it I need to do a partial mash I need to get the oats to soak for around 40 min as a consistent temp to really get the stuff out of the oats

what you guys think

All of my all grain oatmeal stout recipes call for 1lb to 1.5lb of flaked oats for a 5 gal batch. So I would go for the partial mash with 1lb for 40min at 154F. If that doesn't give you your desired taste then bump it up to 1.5lbs.

yea its all about trial and error. I bet i only had maybe .25lbs in the extract kit. for the steeping grains

Back