Yeast reuse/washing in higher gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhine

Reaction score
im a newer/novice brewer. I am reading a lot about reusing your yeast "trub" which i think is really awesome but i have a question for the more experienced. I have heard that reusing a yeast culture from a beer that is above 6.5% ABV is not advised, I dont brew anything below that. Has anyone ever done what im thinking about doing without any adverse effects?? Any input is very appreciated. Thanks!

Yes, I've done it a few times. The experts say that it is not a good idea because the higher gravity stresses the yeast, but I didn't notice any problems.
Disclaimer. Just because I didn't notice any problems, doesn't mean that there weren't any. It just means exactly what I said, but I'm usually fairly good at noticing off flavors and fermentation problems.

P.S. The only times I've done it were when I was making another beer with an OG > 1.070

-a.

I thought that always referred to re-using the yeast cake (trub and yeast mixed together) directly. I figured if I washed the yeast and made a 1.040 starter with a few Tbsp of yeast, and stepped it up a time or two that the "stressed" yeast would have reproduced and created not-so-stressed yeast.

Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't had a problem with this yet. Maybe I'll salvage some of my stressed yeast from my 1.104 wee heavy when the time comes -- just to see.

i don't know about repitching yeast into a certain alcohol strength and the implications of that. but what i have heard is that it is better to repitch washed yeast from lower SG beers into higher SG beers.

Latest posts

Back