Jaybird's Stainless False Bottoms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The material was held up at the fab shop (issues w/ their CNC plasma )but I have it in my hands now and all cut. I will have everything ready and shipped Monday.
you all will see them before Christmas.
Thanks for the patience.
Jay

Jay - was that for all the Free SHI FBs? Been watching for the one I ordered - USPS seems to take a ridiculous 10 + days to ship from your area, just curious so I know when I should be on the look out for it.

Thanks again!

Man I wanna slap around the guys at the fab shop. I'd been thinking about brewing today but I wanna do it with my new false bottom. Too bad it's not shipped yet. I guess I still have to wait for the UPS monkeys to throw it around before I can.

I'm sure it'll be worth the wait and SHOULD use this as a reason to clean that darn carport (where I brew). It's trashed!

sent you a tracking # 2 days ago. I will shoot you another one this evening when I get to the store. I think your PM box was full
Cheers
Jay

Ordered on the 29th. Received today. Quality is high as expected, will post pictures when it's in use. Nice heavy gauge stainless false bottom that aught to last me forever.

I'm looking forward to using it and hope it's been worth the wait ;-)

Finally recieved the tracking number. Thanks. If it was sent two days ago, that was wed. and its not due to arrive until the 23rd? Thats 7 days for delivery. That seems like a aweful long time. If it was sent usps. Still nothing in the tracking system. Ive heard nothing but good things and looking foward to using it. Oarder was placed on the 30th.

Finally recieved the tracking number. Thanks. If it was sent two days ago, that was wed. and its not due to arrive until the 23rd? Thats 7 days for delivery. That seems like a aweful long time.

Are you forgetting what time of year it is?!?!? Also, that's 5 days. Can't count weekends with UPS unless you're using Saturday delivery. And I'm going to guess you may possibly be on the east coast.

I think it was sent USPS. Not sure just a tracking number and a thanks. I don't care if it takes a month of Sundays to get here. (Columbus, OH). Just if your in customer service keep your customers in formed and if you forgot them, so what it happens. Just let them know Thats all. I'm sure once it arrives it will be the best false bottom at the best price out there and will be able to refer some other brewers as well. I'm done! Waiting by door now patiently....

Churd
I apologize for any lack of communication on my part. I did post in this thread (#79) the problems I was having with the fab shop, when I would ship them and when you would see them. I do know those get passed over from time to time. I do hope you are happy with the false bottom when it arrives. And again I apologize for any miss or lack of communication.
Thanks to all that ordered and I am glad to see them showing up.
Cheers
Jay

Stownson your PM box is full. Your FB shipped today. 2-3 day priority usps. I can shoot you a tracking # tomorrow if you like. I sent it out, then had to come to my real job.
Jay

I do have 6 more 15" false bottoms built and ready to ship if anybody is in the market. I also still have several 12" that I can drill for a pickup tube or leave solid. Just a reminder the diptube assembly built to fit is only $22 with your FB order.
Cheers
Jay

If I had a 10 gal round cooler and the bulkhead, what would be the best way to connect your false bottom to the bulkhead? Are there specific fittings that can be bought or do you just rig something up? Does anyone have pics or a parts list of what to use to connect the false bottom?

Used my new false bottom over the holiday. Very impressed with the increased runoff and lack of channeling. Can't wait to use it with a big brew!

The way I connect my setup is I have a 1/2" mpt to 1/2" copper pipe adapter screwed onto the nipple. I have a L shaped piece of 1/2" copper pipe (soldered elbow) that's just the right length that it'll slide into the adapter while inserted into the false bottom.

Jaybirds compression setup would be far slicker but I did what I could with parts already on hand.

I'll take pictures of my setup and the false bottom in action on my next brewday (sometime between Friday and next Sunday). Methinks the false bottom was worth the wait. If FB's had been premade when I ordered I'd have absolutely nothing negative to say.

If I had a 10 gal round cooler and the bulkhead, what would be the best way to connect your false bottom to the bulkhead? Are there specific fittings that can be bought or do you just rig something up? Does anyone have pics or a parts list of what to use to connect the false bottom?

I make a stand off like no other out there. What it does is gets the FB above the drain in the coolers. I make the FB in a way that it helps clear the wort and keep grain out of the spigot. The stand off is $15 when you buy a FB and no extra shipping.
Cheers
Jay

Jay Rocks. False bottoms are heavy duty and really inexpensive compared to what you get from the big HBS.

I used his false bottom on my Brutus Ten. I put a whole hell of a lot of brews through it and it always worked perfectly

complete 017.jpg

Used my new false bottom over the holiday. Very impressed with the increased runoff and lack of channeling. Can't wait to use it with a big brew!

The way I connect my setup is I have a 1/2" mpt to 1/2" copper pipe adapter screwed onto the nipple. I have a L shaped piece of 1/2" copper pipe (soldered elbow) that's just the right length that it'll slide into the adapter while inserted into the false bottom.

Jaybirds compression setup would be far slicker but I did what I could with parts already on hand.

I'll take pictures of my setup and the false bottom in action on my next brewday (sometime between Friday and next Sunday). Methinks the false bottom was worth the wait. If FB's had been premade when I ordered I'd have absolutely nothing negative to say.

Curtis
I do want to thank you for the write up on the FB. I am so glad it is working to your expectations and you think it was worth the wait. I take great pride in getting people a better product, at a better price than they can get elsewhere. Sometimes in the production there are delays and I am so very sorry about the delay. I am now keeping them in stock and am taking your advice in keeping people directly informed not just through this thread, as I know it is hard to read all of them.
Thank you for the purchase. I am certain it will serve you for many brewing years to come.
Cheers
Jay

Jaybird, have you ever made a false bottom for a 13 gallon Euro keg? If so how much would that be about? I dont have it in front of me yet but it will be here Tues or Wed. Im not ready yet to buy one but will get it from you when Im ready because Ill probably have to for one thing because this is most likely a rarer keg to outfit anything from and for another reason all the posts here seem to lead me in the direction that you are the MAN!!!! I will need the hinge because it has a heating element built into it and a coupler for the ball valve which I was told that it was ground down so I may have to fix the threads inside some for a dip tube. Thanks, its definitely on my to do list. Oh, and appr. how much is a dip tube also?

Jaybird, have you ever made a false bottom for a 13 gallon Euro keg? If so how much would that be about? I dont have it in front of me yet but it will be here Tues or Wed. Im not ready yet to buy one but will get it from you when Im ready because Ill probably have to for one thing because this is most likely a rarer keg to outfit anything from and for another reason all the posts here seem to lead me in the direction that you are the MAN!!!! I will need the hinge because it has a heating element built into it and a coupler for the ball valve which I was told that it was ground down so I may have to fix the threads inside some for a dip tube. Thanks, its definitely on my to do list. Oh, and appr. how much is a dip tube also?

Wade
If you get me the measurements of the keg I am sure I can accommodate. As for the threads in the keg, let me know what they did when you get the keg.
As far as price the hinged ones I am selling are $95 shipped. I don't really see why your keg will be any different than the ones for the American kegs, but let me know when you get it we can talk more then.
The dip tube assemblies are $22 if you buy a FB and I don't add any more for shipping as I can get it in the same box.
Cheers
Jay

Cool. These kegs are 13 gallon so the size of the keg is I believe skinnier but not sure. Ill be sure to get yo some dimensions soon. Thanks. cant seem to find any dimensions on the net for these kegs.

Cool. These kegs are 13 gallon so the size of the keg is I believe skinnier but not sure. Ill be sure to get yo some dimensions soon. Thanks. cant seem to find any dimensions on the net for these kegs.

Smaller is better as I can just cut down a 15" to fit your keg.
Keep me posted
Cheers
Jay

I make a stand off like no other out there. What it does is gets the FB above the drain in the coolers. I make the FB in a way that it helps clear the wort and keep grain out of the spigot. The stand off is $15 when you buy a FB and no extra shipping.
Cheers
Jay

Do you or anyone else have pictures of this set up all put together?

I, for what ever reason, cannot post pictures since I became a vendor. I have e-mailed several times w/ little response and no help from the mods or TX. So I can't help there. I do however have several people that have bought this set up. 1 that is going to post picts and a small write up on the cooler and standoff system when they get to brew with it.

I do have 6 more 15" false bottoms built and ready to ship if anybody is in the market. I also still have several 12" that I can drill for a pickup tube or leave solid. Just a reminder the diptube assembly built to fit is only $22 with your FB order.
Cheers
Jay

The diptube assembly is $22 with, How about after the fact? Thought the one I had would work. But after seeing the quality of your FB's I would like to get the assembly also.
If anybody is in the market for one of these, Look no further. This is the best one i've seen. Thanks again.

Planning on pickup up a hinged 15" with dip tube in the future. Hoping someone can post up pics. I'm assuming the dip tube you sell will attach directly to a female 1/2" coupler? I plan on using this in my Electric BK once built.

jaybird, I got everything and looks really nice. I was wondering if the compression fitting was suppose to be tight. I set it up and tighten it down but still slides off the copper tube.

I was having a similar "problem" as humann...but I filled up the MLT yesterday and it drained just fine so I wasn't concerned anymore :)

A little tricky figuring out the best way to put the FB in then the pick up tube, but once you get it it's no problem. FB is great quality and very heavy duty. Can't wait to put the sucker to work!

jaybird, I got everything and looks really nice. I was wondering if the compression fitting was suppose to be tight. I set it up and tighten it down but still slides off the copper tube.

I leave it loose so you can adjust length if needed then tighten it down. It will drain the kettle even if it slides a little. but you should be able to tighten it so it almost dostn't move.
Cheers
Jay

If the measurements that I got were jonny on the spot, you should be able to just slip it in and tighten. If its a little long you may have a little trouble. Try screwing in the compression fitting into the coupling a few more turns. That should help.
Cheers
Jay

Now I'm really anxious to get mine. Still hasn't shown up yet and tracking says it was sent out on the 17th. Come on USPS!

I was struggling with this a little bit yesterday. Any tips?

I'm using the 15" hinged version. What I've been doing is while the FB is still partially folded I'll insert the pick up into the hole. I'll lower that in to the MLT and as I'm flattening out the FB the pick up finds it's way to the coupling. I should have a video up shortly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jay,

Do you plan on selling a set with weldless fittings? It would be cool to be able to get everything to convert a keg to an MLT in one shot. Thanks man!

Yes I am working on it. Will be available very very soon!
Cheers
Jay

Awesome! Make it a good price as I'm sure you will and that'd be awesome. I know I can just get the fittings from my LHBS or order them from somewhere else but it'd be cool to get everything at once. How much grain can you typically mash at a good efficiency using the 15 inch? I'm doing all big beers now (maybe a small beer with what's left) and my 48 cooler with a RIS just did not cut it..my efficiency sucked and I had the cooler so packed the grain was like thick dough.. I'm really excited to have free range of volume. Any advice as to a difference in mash thickness or anything, or even what to insulate with if using the keg for an MLT that doesn't have direct heat? Thanks man.

Back