NEW SYSTEM/First Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biermann

Reinvented Biermann
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
As many of you have seen, I drastically upgraded my system to a single tier, 20 gallon morebeer pro system (see pics) back in July.

So, I have this awesome system, and I have yet to brew on it. Its hooked up, I have about 5 pounds of various hops, 300 lbs of grain, and a brand new 27 gallon blichmann fermenter. Its all screaming to be used.

Since my ex-wife left me in July, I have not brewed. Well, my divorce is now final, and I think its high time to fire up the brewery and brew something big... I'm thinking a Russian Imperial Stout-- target ABV about 8-9%

So, I will post pics of my new system in action, give some play by play accounts of the brew day.

I am planning this on Thursday afternoon-- recipe suggestions appreciated.

here's to moving on...
:mug:

So, I will post pics of my new system in action, give some play by play accounts of the brew day.

I am planning this on Thursday afternoon-- recipe suggestions appreciated.

here's to moving on...

I'm looking forward to hearin' how it works. Keep us updated, and congrats on getting back to brewing!

Sounds like a great way to break in one kick-ass brewing system. I can't wait to see the pics of it in action. :rockin:

Congrats on the system and finalization of your divorce. Divorce can be brutal, as you may already know. Hope not. If it was, at the least now you can always "dink" her best girlfriend. Of course that 8-9% HB would make that a LOT easier. LOL.

So yeah, get brewin.

I am holding out for the Sabco even tho' it's about twice the cost of a B3 bare bones. If anything, I would change my mind based on volume but I don't see myself brewing any more than 10 gallons at a time unless my extract efficiency comes out higher than anticipated.

I dunno what you were brewing with but, I do know that after the minimal learning curve, your brew day will get much easier.

And as a note, watch the joint between the copper down tube to the sparge ring. That has a habit of coming loose occasionally just from the pressure of the pump when it kicks in to fill back to level.

This is my second B3 system. I had a 2.5 tier 10 gallon system first . . . I had problems with the sparge ring on the first one--It came undone just like you said. This one seems to be much better engineered than the first, and the fittings seem to be tighter. Of course, at over 6k, it should be better engineered. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the automated sparge, automated HERMS, temp controls work, and using the tri-clamp fittings. It also has an inline oxygenator with viewglass and thermometer and convoluted copper counter flow chiller with triclamp fittings as well-- should all be fun to use. Indeed, there will be a learning curve-- I'm going to try to get some friends to come over for "extra" hands, and possibly to empty out a keg or two already on tap.

I will keep HBT on my computer in my brew room, and if all goes well, will try to post real time.

Awesome man... if you have a chance, take a pic of the inline oxygenator for me. I've seen the ones they sell, but didn't know they had one that you could look inside...

will do. . . I'm at work right now (obviously working hard), so can't do it this second. . . you can kinda see the inline oxygenator hanging from the brew stand next to the middle kettle (mash-tun). I will definately take some better pics up close. It is a multi-piece unit held together with tri-clamps.

Oh my! I'd be counting the minutes!

Hell, I'd break in such a sweet system with a nice 80/.

thought about that too. .. one of my buddies is intent on a RIS. We'll see. I'm kinda leaving it open for now. One thing, though--it has to be heavy gravity. :D

My anniversary is coming up, and this is going to be a de-anniversary beer. :mug:

Awesome man... if you have a chance, take a pic of the inline oxygenator for me. I've seen the ones they sell, but didn't know they had one that you could look inside...

Here is the one he has.

phpThumb.php

I like the webcam idea. . .how does one get this up and running??

First, you buy me and my webcam a plane ticket to Peoria.

Second, you give me a few homebrews to drink.

Third, you let me help you brew in that sweet sweet rig.

Fourth, we toast everyone else in HBT on the webcam.

First, you buy me and my webcam a plane ticket to Peoria.

Second, you give me a few homebrews to drink.

Third, you let me help you brew in that sweet sweet rig.

Fourth, we toast everyone else in HBT on the webcam.

Hmmm. . .I just went through a divorce, and am understandably broke right now. . . or I would get you and your camera that ticket :)

Otherwise, there's no excuse for you not to get ur a$$ to Peoria and come brew!

Funny you should ask...

Well, I came up with a recipe first off-- it is for an ESB-inspired beer I've named "Freedom's Bitter." I thought it was apt.

I got the brewery hooked up, checked out pumps, checked out the thermowells and temperature controls, the control panel, mounted the chiller to the bench, tried out the oxygenator. . .

But my banker called and I had to close on my house (had to refinance to pay off my ex and to get her name off my property). That took forever. Before I knew it, my kids were home from school, and it never happened.

So, I told SWMBO that come hell or high water, the 29th was brew day--I have cleared my schedule, and she said she would entertain my kids while I brewed. . .

So that's it. In the meantime, I may take some pictures to whet the appetite..

and if people are interested in providing some feedback on my recipe, I would be willing to share.

DSC00265.JPG

Boil kettle to hot side pump (stainless head). Butterfly valve, tri-clamps

DSC00266.JPG

from pump to copper convoluted counter-flow chiller to in-line aerator
(suspended/mounted under top shelf)

DSC00268.JPG

closer view of inline aerator--in line dial thermometer on left, sight glass...

DSC00271.JPG

Close up of control panel

DSC00272.JPG

Adjustable sparge ring and float switch for automated-sparge control

DSC00274.JPG

Inside HLT with convoluted copper heat exchange coil and float switch.

Ok. . . there's some pictures to hopefully tide you all over. . .

I will post pictures from brew day on the 29th--like I said, the 29th is pretty much written in stone. :tank::mug:

Wow, dude, just wow!! I have to give props to such a beautiful piece of machinery ... but at the same time, I kinda hate you right about now :D

It's the ultimate system, to be sure. . .but it is all bittersweet. . . . my ex-wife actually ordered this brewery for me as a "gift" with money from my tax return. 2 months later, she filed for divorce, and it then it arrived this summer. Then she claimed it as a marital asset-- :mad: so in essence, I kinda paid for it twice. Seeing as I have few "nice" things left in my house, I sort of cling to my brewery. . . Now I just can't wait to brew on it . . .

Dude, That is one of the sweetest systems ever. Sorry about your recent split. The pics are great. Call us if you need help "venting" over some beers.:mug:

That is high dollar for sure. I could not justify the $$$$$$.$$ oxygenator unless I was running a brew pub. For a 15 gallon batch you would only need a 3 minute oxygenation to reach the required oxygen/wort saturation. I have to admit though, If I had the $$$$ I would have that too as a show and tell toy on my system. I have already planned to machine and weld up an inline (in a length of hi-temp hose) stainless assembly for oxygenation and yeast injection as I pump to the fermenter. I have a nice shop built on my property as I am a retired tool and die maker. My Blichmann 27 gallon fermenter is a joy to use and this will be the final improvement to the system. For my last project I want to make a small dedicated yeast propagation vessel.

That's an awesome idea. . .although I have no experience doing this. I don't have a webcam either, but they're relatively cheap. Hmmm. . . .

Install the webcam drivers, plug it in, and go to mogulus.com. Setup an account (5 minutes, you have to pick stuff like your channel name) and launch your channel. It will find your webcam automatically. It really is that easy. It took me 15 minutes of prep to setup my first brewcast.

That is high dollar for sure. I could not justify the $$$$$$.$$ oxygenator unless I was running a brew pub. For a 15 gallon batch you would only need a 3 minute oxygenation to reach the required oxygen/wort saturation. I have to admit though, If I had the $$$$ I would have that too as a show and tell toy on my system. I have already planned to machine and weld up an inline (in a length of hi-temp hose) stainless assembly for oxygenation and yeast injection as I pump to the fermenter. I have a nice shop built on my property as I am a retired tool and die maker. My Blichmann 27 gallon fermenter is a joy to use and this will be the final improvement to the system. For my last project I want to make a small dedicated yeast propagation vessel.

Yeah, the inline oxygenator came with the "pro" option on the system when my ex-wife ordered it. I didn't purposely select it, although it is a pretty cool toy. :D

Mashed in on my "Freedom's Bitter--Alimony ESB" As promised, will follow is a play-by-play. So far, hit mash temps (overshot a little--was shooting for 152).

Below are pics in action. . . 1/2 hour left to mash. . .

DSC00107.JPG

Mash temp on left, HLT temp on right. The left Ranco controls the HERMS pump, the right one controls a pilot on the HLT.
DSC00090.JPG

HERMS set up.
DSC00091.JPG

All systems go

BTW, here is the recipe-- of course, it is an ESB style beer. . . "Freedom's Bitter Alimony Ale ESB." thought it had a good ring to it giving my situation.

IRV Freedom's Bitter ESB

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

08-C English Pale Ale, Extra Special/Strong Bitter

Min OG: 1.048 Max OG: 1.072
Min IBU: 30 Max IBU: 60
Min Clr: 6 Max Clr: 18 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 20.00 Wort Size (Gal): 20.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 41.00
Anticipated OG: 1.054 Plato: 13.26
Anticipated SRM: 10.5
Anticipated IBU: 41.3
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 9.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 21.98 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.049 SG 12.12 Plato

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
87.8 36.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
6.1 2.50 lbs. Crystal 80L 1.033 80
3.7 1.50 lbs. CaraVienne Malt Belgium 1.034 22
2.4 1.00 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.50 oz. Magnum Whole 13.00 35.7 60 min.
3.00 oz. Fuggle Whole 5.00 5.5 20 min.
2.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.75 0.0 0 min.

Yeast: S-04
-----

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 41.00
Water Qts: 0.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 0.00 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 0.00 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 152 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 170 Time: 10
Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 60

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

So far so good. . . Temps being maintained well by temp controls. . .This is by far the easiest brew day I've ever had. The automation is awesome.

Below is the Wort circulating through the HERMS hoses.

DSC00110.JPG

Back