Shake/Swirl Fermentor??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbhudy

Reaction score
I have read a couple of threads stating that you should give your fermentor a little shake/swirl after a few days to help the process continue to move along. I have only made about a dozen batches and have never done this.. Any thoughts or ideas on if you should or should not do this and why you would want to do this?

Thanks
Newbie...

It's useful (a gentle swirl, never a shake) if you have a stuck ferment due to yeast flocculating prematurely. It gets yeast back up into suspension and can help it finish out. If you aren't having stuck ferments, then it's not at all necessary and you should leave your fermenters alone.

Don't do it. The only time people talk about stirring things up is if they think they have a stuck fermentation. I'm more concerned about oxygenation, so I try to move the beer as little as possible once fermentation begins.

Back