Rust Spot in Keggle? -pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troubs

Reaction score
So I just got my keggle back from my friend who welded a few couplers in for me. After I got done cleaning it up with some bar keepers friend and Oxyclean I noticed two spots on the bottom that look like rust. When I run my finger over them they are rougher then the rest of the inside. Can I do anything about it?

IMG_0578.JPG

IMG_0579.JPG

really if you scrubbed them with bkf, thats all you can easily do. i would think you would be fine. if your really concerned you could try sanding it down however that could be quite difficult with little added benefit.

Apparently the grinding or sanding disc the welder used was previously used on carbon steel and this has contaminated the stainless.

you may be able to use a fine grit sanding disc to get it out.

I keep all my disc for stainless separate from any others and only use them for stainless.

maybe someone with more experience may have a trick to get it out.

Apparently the grinding or sanding disc the welder used was previously used on carbon steel and this has contaminated the stainless.

you may be able to use a fine grit sanding disc to get it out.

I keep all my disc for stainless separate from any others and only use them for stainless.

maybe someone with more experience may have a trick to get it out.

Exactly--that was my guess, contamination. Another option is a SST wire wheel on a drill or die grinder. That might fit down in there better. Make sure you use SST or you'll just make the problem worse.

Thanks for the sugestions guys. I'll give it a super star san soak and if that doesn't do the job i'll hit it with the sandpaper. I'll report back in

So, I'm reporting back in. I mixed up a triple strength batch of star san and let it soak for four days. This did the trick! No more rust! I had also noticed some similar spots on a coupler that was welded near the top. I hit it with some 600 grit sandpaper and that cleared it right up too. Thanks for the help guys

Latest posts

Back