2nb brew jitters!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackwhite75

Reaction score
I brewed my second batch about two days ago, an oatmeal chocolate stout. I used wyeast burton ale and aerated thoroughly. The temp on the outside of the pail is reading 57-58 degrees and I haven't seen any activity in the bubbler, which I know isn't an indication of fermentation, but usually happens at first. Is the temp too low, or should I just wait it out?

Did you use a starter? Without one, fermentation can take as long as 72 hours to start. In addition, I think the temperature is a bit too low. Here's the info from White Lab's website on that yeast:

WLP023 Burton Ale Yeast
From the famous brewing town of Burton upon Trent, England, this yeast is packed with character. It provides delicious subtle fruity flavors like apple, clover honey and pear. Great for all English styles, IPA's, bitters, and pales. Excellent in porters and stouts.
Attenuation: 69-75%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 68-73°F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium

Posting your concerns on this forum will make it start. By the end of today you will be posting again feeling all embarrassed that you worried so much. ;)

I use Burton Ale yeast all the time and never fermented it that low. I've had it as low as 62°F (ambient), but I wouldn't want to get below that.

Latest posts

Back