White Labs WLP 565 Saison Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roush

Reaction score
I'm brewing my first Saison tomorrow, and I made a starter with this yeast about 72 hours ago. It's the first starter I've made, and it took almost 24 hours for it to show any activity. I used 1 qt of water and 1/2 cup of light DME. The OG of the wort will be around 1.065. Right now it's fermenting just fine, and the airlock is bubbling around every 8-10 seconds. It started creating a thin layer of foam this morning. I've read on some threads that you can refrigerate the starter the night before the brew. Should I let it keep fermenting and just pitch it as is tomorrow or refrigerate it? Should I take a hydrometer reading?

Just let it go, pitch after you decant some of the fermented wort. The Dupont strain takes a while to get started, and prefers to be kept warm anyway, so unless you don't need it for a few days, keep it out of the refridgerator. I just piched a blend of Dupont's strains myself! Good luck!

most suggest you use 1.04 gravity to make starters. the point is to allow the yeast to grow but not stress them. if i go over 48 hours i cool it down anythign before that i just et it go.

Remove the airlock. Put foil over the top.

Starters are for growing yeast, not fermenting wort. The former happens before the latter.

Yep - many think (and it's easy to do if your process heeds to the sanitary, which it always should) that not making it airtight allows better transfer between O2 and CO2, allowing for better yeast growth.

If you look here, it's a great resource for describing what is going on.

Back