So I'm going to this bar for my Birthday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to love going to the Sanctuary to hear live acoustic music - what a great place! I see they have a tap for a local Iowa-made beer, Hop Wrangler from Peace Tree. It's always good to drink local beers.

Happy Birthday!!

I don't live anywhere near Iowa, so I'd jump at something like Hop Wrangler. Heck, I've never even had Fat Tire.

Hennepin's great, but don't sell Rare Vos short.

Alright well I just got back from the pub. Lets see what did I have? Well first of all I had the shepherds pie for dinner. It was delicious. I started with a Rogue Yellow Snow IPA. It was on sale, and it was pretty fantastic. Then I had a Fullers ESB. I had never had an ESB. I was expecting something a little more bitter but it was right after an IPA. It was very good though. Malty and good. Then I had a Rogue Nut Brown ale. This one was my favorite of the night. The hazelnut was fantastic. Last I had a Fullers porter. Also very good. I also tried a friends Chimay Red. I wasn't impressed. It was good but not great. I also tried a Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock which was fantastic. And I tried a Framboise Lambic. Not really my cup of tea but pretty good as well.

All in all a pretty fantastic night. There was nothing I drank that I didn't like and I got to try a good variety of beers. Actually I guess everything I ordered was from two brewers. Huh, oh well. Anyway a pretty good birthday. Sorry if I didn't make any sense, I had a few birthday shots as well :ban:

Oh and I pronounced Framboise exactly how it's spelled when I ordered it for my friend. The bartender had a slight pause and said "Yeah sure mate." I could tell I had just made an ass of my self. It wasn't until I got back to the table I found out how it was really pronounced. Oh well.

No worries bud. It's just beer. So what if you say it wrong. You learned and next time you'll know. This sounds like a really cool place. I'm taking my wife up to Iowa in August to show her around the state I grew up in, and I'm thinking we need to check this place out. I've never had the opportunity to try Two-hearted so that will be my first pint. Then I'll try that local Iowa IPA. Who knows after that. Maybe stick with IPAs and try the yellow snow.

It's a great place near downtown Iowa City. It's one of those places I can't really believe I've never been. Great food and great beer selection. I'll be going back.

I get out to Iowa City a couple times a year...will have to give this pub a try. Sounds like you had a pretty good Bday:)

Back