Hood for venting while brewing Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
OK Guys,

I need some help in designing a hood to vent the steam and such while brewing inside. I found a guy that does sheet metal work, so I'm thinking galvanized flashing like I use to block the wind when brewing outside should work.

This needs to be mounted on the wall above the brew rig. It will be a single tier design similar to the Brutus 10. Any suggestions and is there anyone out there that can whip up a jpeg sketch for this guy?

Any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks!

Look for a scratch and dent appliance store. Around my house there is one and they have normal cooking hoods for like $100 bucks, and you can just get that aluminum piping for dryers to run to the outside if you want also

What are the dimensions of your stand Ed? Maybe if you give us all some details (size and how you want it to look) we can give you some design ideas. What is the decorating going to be like? Olde Bierstübe?

What are the dimensions of your stand Ed? Maybe if you give us all some details (size and how you want it to look) we can give you some design ideas. What is the decorating going to be like? Olde Bierstübe?

I have not built my rig yet, but I'm guessing 60" Wide, 24" deep, and maybe 18" high with a hole in the back venting straight out. Just a rectangular box with a 6" round hold in one of the long sides for the vent. I figure mounting it with screws to the wall and then metal straps from the top front edge at an angle back to the wall.

Look for a scratch and dent appliance store. Around my house there is one and they have normal cooking hoods for like $100 bucks, and you can just get that aluminum piping for dryers to run to the outside if you want also

Thanks. I might do that if what I want turns out to be too pricey.

I would build in the vent. Something like this maybe:

vent.jpg

vent_1.jpg

vent_3.jpg

You could install fans in the wall that would vent directly outside. When you wanted the vents sealed, you could have insulated covers or doors that could be closed to seal the Haus.

Just an idea. I would flash the inside of the vent and caulk the seams. I thought the stone veneer might be a nice touch, or perhaps some figured moulding....

Ed, with the small space you will be brewing in you may want to consider how you will replace the air that you vent. If I remember you will have a window type air conditioner. Those generally have a vent feature to bring in outside air. That may be enough. Just some things you may want to consider.

I would build in the vent. Something like this maybe:

vent.jpg

vent_1.jpg

vent_3.jpg

You could install fans in the wall that would vent directly outside. When you wanted the vents sealed, you could have insulated covers or doors that could be closed to seal the Haus.

Just an idea. I would flash the inside of the vent and caulk the seams. I thought the stone veneer might be a nice touch, or perhaps some figured moulding....

Perfect! I love the lederhosen too! :D Thanks!

Do you think two fans are needed?

Ed, with the small space you will be brewing in you may want to consider how you will replace the air that you vent. If I remember you will have a window type air conditioner. Those generally have a vent feature to bring in outside air. That may be enough. Just some things you may want to consider.

I will be installing two fresh air returns near the floor in the back of the brewhaus. They will be screened, but have insulated doors that will open during brew sessions so there is no buildup of CO2 or CO.

I was thinking two fans would be better just because it is a large area to be ventilating. I am not an HVAC guy though. I'm a mechanical engineer, so I have a tendency to over-design stuff when I have the option :D

I thought the built in look would be cool and different. Plus it would really set-off that space as a brewery.

Yep. I could cover it in pine bead board. It would look cool! Now I just need to nail down the dimensions and see what he would charge to make it. I think I'll hand carry the drawings over to him with a six pack of my beer.... :D

Back