Pipe smoking, a lost art.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After having the Cavendish blend from the shop for a few nights, I tried the 'aged whiskey' blend from the same place last night. I'm definitely not a fan. Hooked on the cav right now. Looking forward to trying another cav blend soon.

It was supposed to be a poker sitter, but I screwed up the angle on the base of the pipe and the balance was way off. So...standard billiard it becomes. :eek:

After this one, I have one more block with a churchwarden stem. Right now, that should be my last pipe.

Coat of dark stain applied. A little sanding will show how the grain looks and if this is something I want to contrast stain.

I think I'm gonna cut a few more from briar, but I'd love to cut a few churchwardens from the morta. edit: I think a few natural black churchwarden skulls would be awesome.

Don't know why, but am fascinated by morta and have yet to add one to the stable. I would probably do some questionable things for a morta poker with a Cumberland stem

Don't know why, but am fascinated by morta and have yet to add one to the stable. I would probably do some questionable things for a morta poker with a Cumberland stem

price for a well crafted morta pipe would stall me. I want to get a handle on what I'm doing before I ruin a block of morta. hahaha!!

price for a well crafted morta pipe would stall me. I want to get a handle on what I'm doing before I ruin a block of morta. hahaha!!

I totally get that. I admire you blokes that are making your own. Have been wanting to but my lack of tools and all my extra funds going to my cigar rolling obsession have put a stall on that for the moment.

I was at my son's house a few days ago. We live a long, as in thousands of geographical miles from each other. I brought some pipes and tobacco last night there my son and I smoked a couple good cigars. One of my briars. Was in the stogie humidor, some pipe tobacco too. My daughter gave it a go - same girl I taught to smoke a pipe 4 years s ago; think her first a Virginia blend. It was Mcleland#1

I was at my son's house a few days ago. We live a long, as in thousands of geographical miles from each other. I brought some pipes and tobacco last night there my son and I smoked a couple good cigars. One of my briars. Was in the stogie humidor, some pipe tobacco too. My daughter gave it a go - same girl I taught to smoke a pipe 4 years s ago; think her first a Virginia blend. It was Mcleland#1

Nice. Sounds like a nice relaxing/bonding experience.

Wife watched Downton Abbey last night, so down to the basement to work on the pipe it was.

I started the churchwarden with an idea to make it an apple, but it's looking more and more like it may transform into a standard billiard as well. We'll see. Last night was the first time I've ever encountered a large flaw in the briar while rasping/filing/sanding. This was more than a grain of sand, was almost a damn pebble. Thankfully it was able to be removed and the bowl wall didn't suffer from too much thinning during the removal. Definitely can see how a single flaw can alter/dictate the shape of a pipe.

I gave the guy from work some Frenchy's Sunzabitches and Lane 1Q to try in his dads old pipe. he didn't like either of them and gave the tobacco back. but he has a nice cleaned pipe on the shelf to remind him of his dad.

You guys are killing me. I haven't smoked a pipe in almost 20 years. If I were to, say, get back into this thing, where should I be looking for a quality pipe? Last time I was smoking a pipe ranged from a meerschaum at home and Dr Grabow in the weather.

You guys are killing me. I haven't smoked a pipe in almost 20 years. If I were to, say, get back into this thing, where should I be looking for a quality pipe? Last time I was smoking a pipe ranged from a meerschaum at home and Dr Grabow in the weather.

Make your own!

J/K. Check out smokingpipes.com. They have a great selection. Or, if you have a B&M store near you, check them out for new or estate pipes.

I don't have anything near me. I went to the one place, they have 12 jars of stale tobacco an 4 pipes. I think they sell more glass pipes than wood. I will check out the site.

I've got a number of pipes, and several lbs of jars filled with various tobacco. I'm rather partial to latakia, and I have a tendency to add Pirate Kake to various others when I smoke, (but certainly not always!)

Does anybody in here dedicate their pipes to specific blends/types of tobaccos? I haven't in the past, mainly because I only had 1 or 2 pipes. Now that I'm closing in on more, I'm thinking of dedicating to types of tobaccos, similar to the following:

Dr. Grabow - Aros
Danish Freehand - English/Latakias
Homemade Rhodesian - Virginias (straight, VaPer, VaBur, etc.)
Sav 320 - Virginias (straight, VaPer, VaBur, etc.)
Homemade Churchwarden - English/Latakias
Meer Churchwarden - Any
Homemade Cob - Aros

Does anybody in here dedicate their pipes to specific blends/types of tobaccos? I haven't in the past, mainly because I only had 1 or 2 pipes. Now that I'm closing in on more, I'm thinking of dedicating to types of tobaccos, similar to the following:

Dr. Grabow - Aros
Danish Freehand - English/Latakias
Homemade Rhodesian - Virginias (straight, VaPer, VaBur, etc.)
Sav 320 - Virginias (straight, VaPer, VaBur, etc.)
Homemade Churchwarden - English/Latakias
Meer Churchwarden - Any
Homemade Cob - Aros

I dedicate pipes to certain types of blends. I only smoke aros out of my churchwarden, my poker only sees English blends, my naked briar only gets Virginia or Virginia blends. My meer gets whatever I feel like since I clean out the bowl really good after each use and cobs get whatever I feel like as well. I have a few other pipes that don't get used as much that haven't found their pairing yet.

I dedicate pipes to certain types of blends. I only smoke aros out of my churchwarden, my poker only sees English blends, my naked briar only gets Virginia or Virginia blends. My meer gets whatever I feel like since I clean out the bowl really good after each use and cobs get whatever I feel like as well. I have a few other pipes that don't get used as much that haven't found their pairing yet.

Good to know. Thanks for the input. :mug:

Late posting, wanted to get a few smokes through it before I talked about it. Wife's Christmas present to me this year. She knows I love a big pipe, and this is certainly one of my favorites, but make sure you always have a free hand while smoking if you end up getting one of these. Savinelli Trevi 320KS.

320KS.jpg

Late posting, wanted to get a few smokes through it before I talked about it. Wife's Christmas present to me this year. She knows I love a big pipe, and this is certainly one of my favorites, but make sure you always have a free hand while smoking if you end up getting one of these. Savinelli Trevi 320KS.

That's a gorgeous pipe. I'm picking up a coupe cobs soon. Might look into some tins, I gotta get off the Pall Malls somehow.

That's a gorgeous pipe. I'm picking up a coupe cobs soon. Might look into some tins, I gotta get off the Pall Malls somehow.

HA! Theoretically, pipe smoking can be a lot cheaper than any other type of smoking. I moved over to mostly pipes as cigars started to rise in price a few years ago. It was initially nice getting 2 tins of tobacco for the price of one good cigar. Then, I found a new hobby of collecting pipes. So yeah, everything comes with a cost.

Back