cheap & easy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morky92

Reaction score
Any suggestions how to easily and inexpensively keep my fermenting beers at proper temp. My basement just isn't warm enough and I don't have the room anywhere else.

A tub of water and an aquarium heater. Your local pet store or Walmart. Just checked Walmart.com. There are many choices from $26 - $47.

Experiment with water first to dial in the proper temperature.

I had NO IDEA that submersible heaters existed. Thanks everybody. That seems like a perfect solution...Until I build my dream brew house of coarse.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
exactly. check this out. it should help ya on your way.

That was a great read, thank you. Swamp cooler seems to be the way to go for me. I have my first batch in primary now at room temp but I'm looking to combine the swamp cooler with a son of fermentation type of 2 inch foam box to retain the heat since I'll be fermenting in a basement that sits in the low to mid 50s.

This would be beneficial since I'm looking to control the temp of 2 carboys and I can let one finish off higher than the other if need be. Is a small aquarium pump necessary with that small of a volume of water?

Be careful in selecting a heater. The one I started with had its lowest setpoint too high. Be sure the heater will work to maintain temps within the range of your yeast.

Be careful in selecting a heater. The one I started with had its lowest setpoint too high. Be sure the heater will work to maintain temps within the range of your yeast.

the Rena (brand) heater's lowest setting is 66 and the ones i have heat the water bath to ~67 at the lowest setting. you can get ones with lower settings from most quality aquarium retailers. i highly recommend a submersible with actual degree settings on the dial and not the ones with a 'hi-lo' dial. i recently bought an Aqueon 100w for one of my aquariums that has a very nice degreed dial, display and it was only $19.99 (maybe $24.99). it's incredibly accurate, it's set at ~79 and holding a 30 gal aquarium at ~77-78, it's 100% submerged and next time i need a heater for brewing, i'm getting a 50w version of that one.
there's always the option of using a cheap temp controller to keep the heater from cycling on too much, but for ale brewing, the Rena heaters will do just fine without one. for lagers, i run my Rena heater off a $25 Johnson temp controller, i put the probe in a thermowell and it works pretty well. i'll post some pics on that on my blog when i begin lagering my Alt that's in primary now. FWIW, that beer is holding 55 in a swamp cooler that's in a cool (62 degree) room with only ice bottles to cool it. i've been adding one every two hours or so. but it only creeps up 1-2 degrees in 8 hours over night w/o ice. :rockin:

Back