hops timing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
Good day everyone,

I was making a batch of Orfy's Mild Mannered Ale this afternoon and got to thinking - generally a dangerous proposition. I used the extract recipe and steeped the grains, started my boil, added the first ounce of hops at the start of the boil and then again with 15 minutes left - just as the recipe calls for - then I got to thinking.

My process is to take the pot to the sink and start cooling the wort by placing the pot in a sink full of cold water. Once it gets to about 90 degrees or so I add a gallon of spring water I have chilled in the fridge. This process brings the temperature down rapidly and has served me well as I get the temperature down to 70 degrees in about 15 minutes. Here is where I started thinking.

The hops are still in the pot during the cooling. Am I turning the aromatic hops into bittering hops by keeping them in the pot for the extra 15 minutes? Should I strain out the hops and cool while the wort is in the primary? Should I strain out the hops and use a second pot metal pot to cool the wort, or am I worrying about nothing.

By the way, the idea of a hops bag right then was starting to make a lot of sense. So, am I hurting myself by keeping the hops in the wort while I am cooling it?

No..is the answer..just leave the hops in as they cool..you will get more out of them for aroma..as long as they are not boiling you will get little to none in the ways of bittering..I leave mine in the whole time as it cools..

J

The isomerization of the alpha acids necessary for bittering is too slow to worry about except when the wort is boiling.

Back