Specific gravity/alcohol content

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shambolic

Reaction score
I've noticed that people on here often mention brews with an OG of 1060 or more, and FG of 1010-1020.
According to the little brewing book I've got, a rough estimate of alcohol content (%) is (OG-FG)x.14.
Using this formula, and allowing for priming as well, some of the brews people are making would have >8% alcohol! Surely that can't be right...

My brews generally have an OG of 1048 (the last three have been exactly that, by coincidence), and FG of 1010-1015. This gives alcohol contents of 5% or just under, according to the above formula.

Any comments?

I always use this formula...

math-formula-chalkboard.jpg

And I'm always waaaaaay drunk by the time I'm done so I know it works.

^^^ Wow, I hadn't seen that in a while. Kind of surprised that you could even still find it on the net. It won't help you with the alcohol percentage of your beer, but it will tell you the amount of temp loss when opening the fridge door for 5 seconds, versus 10 seconds. I was bored one day!

Back