Tastys Janet's Brown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellsbrat

Reaction score
Watching this interview and at 4:15 in the clip they talk about a 45lb sugar addition which is defiantly not in the homebrew recipe, is this just part of economically ramping the recipe to a commercial scale or an addition we should think about adding ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Russian River does sugar additions in most of their big IPAs, probably just a change to suit Vinnie's preference for dry hoppy beers (especially considering how much crystal malt is called for in that recipe…)

but that would not be Tastys beer then Ill get on the BN forum and see if he will answer

Im pretty sure they made an imperial Janets brown.
Not the regular 6.6% Janets brown so that could be why they added some sugar.

If anyone is wondering HERE is the imperial version, has to be the greatest American Brown I have ever drank.Although I have never had the imperial version I am looking forward to brewing it ASAP

Tasty visited during our club meeting last Tuesday and our theme was American Browns. He said they did do a bigger version with a sugar addition but recent tweaks ended up giving them a much higher efficiency so the ended up skipping the sugar in the last batch.

Thanks for this thread - I was at Russian River a few months ago and had Janet's Brown and I thought it was boring. I was surprised how dry it was but now it makes sense. There was no malt backbone at all. At the time it just reaffirmed my hatred for Cal Ale yeast.

Back