How's my water for a kolsch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heywolfie1015

Reaction score
I plan on brewing a kolsch soon and was thinking that my alkalinity is a little high for such a light beer. Consequently, I was thinking about diluting 1:1 with purified water when I mash.

My water profile is actually pretty well suited for a lot of styles. Low calcium and low-ish magnesium, but otherwise pretty good on everything else:

Ca: 29
Mg: 9.1
Na: 49
Cl: 55
SO4: 44
CACO3: 113

I read on HBT that I should try to get CACO3 for a kolsch to ~50-75ppm, so I figured the easiest way to do that is just dilute by 50%. (It doesn't get much easier than pouring in a gallon of distilled water and then filling up the bottle with tap water...) Does that sound like a good plan, given my water profile? This will be the first time I try messing with my water, so I'm trying to be as informed as possible before getting to it.

Thanks much.

Yeah, too alkaline.

I would add gypsum to get to around 75 ppm sulfate and then use lactic acid (or acid malt) to get the rest of the way.

I plan on brewing a kolsch soon and was thinking that my alkalinity is a little high for such a light beer. Consequently, I was thinking about diluting 1:1 with purified water when I mash.

My water profile is actually pretty well suited for a lot of styles. Low calcium and low-ish magnesium, but otherwise pretty good on everything else:

Ca: 29
Mg: 9.1
Na: 49
Cl: 55
SO4: 44
CACO3: 113

I read on HBT that I should try to get CACO3 for a kolsch to ~50-75ppm, so I figured the easiest way to do that is just dilute by 50%. (It doesn't get much easier than pouring in a gallon of distilled water and then filling up the bottle with tap water...) Does that sound like a good plan, given my water profile? This will be the first time I try messing with my water, so I'm trying to be as informed as possible before getting to it.

Thanks much.

Sounds good but get TH spreadsheet and watch Bobby videos then mess with the numbers. Its not that difficult

I would add gypsum to get to around 75 ppm sulfate and then use lactic acid (or acid malt) to get the rest of the way.

I understand the lactic acid, but what is the thinking behind getting the sulfates up? Crisper bitterness?

Sounds good but get TH spreadsheet and watch Bobby videos then mess with the numbers. Its not that difficult

Thanks. Out of curiosity, what is the TH spreadsheet?

Latest posts

Back