bucket to bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

actech

Reaction score
I usually secondary to settle extra yeastys out. But i wanted to start dry hopping, and didn't want to fight a hop sock out of carboy. So I am gonna use bottling buckets and am going spout to spout with about 1 psig co2 on top bucket pushing into spout of a co2 purged second bucket. Plan on hop sock sitting in bucket with lid on & air lock on. What do you think? good idea? bad idea?

I usually secondary to settle extra yeastys out. But i wanted to start dry hopping, and didn't want to fight a hop sock out of carboy. So I am gonna use bottling buckets and am going spout to spout with about 1 psig co2 on top bucket pushing into spout of a co2 purged second bucket. Plan on hop sock sitting in bucket with lid on & air lock on. What do you think? good idea? bad idea?

I wouldn't secondary in a bucket- it's got a very wide headspace. I'd dryhop in the primary rather than move the beer to a bucket for dryhopping.

You can purge a bucket, but the ideal gas law states that it will reach equilibium quickly. It's better than nothing, I suppose, but it's not really something that would avoid oxygen.

Sounds like an overly complicated way to go about things, so I say GO FOR IT!! Just be sure you take pics and post back. Otherwise why not just jam a tube on the end of the spigot on bucket A and do a gravity drain into bucket 2?

[EDIT]better yet, do what Yooper said[/EDIT]

Sounds like an overly complicated way to go about things, so I say GO FOR IT!! Just be sure you take pics and post back. Otherwise why not just jam a tube on the end of the spigot on bucket A and do a gravity drain into bucket 2?

[EDIT]better yet, do what Yooper said[/EDIT]

Sometimes I like to overthink things ha ha.
Only reason I used co2 was to keep air from being drawn in while the bucket was emptying. We will see how it goes.
Its my first batch with mosaic and wow smells like a tangerine for sure

Latest posts

Back