Blow off tube clogging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaylessBrewer

Reaction score
So I brewed a APA/IPA lastnite that was hop burst from 10min on with a 7oz whirlpool. Well now it's going crazy and the only tubing I have is 3/8 and it's getting clogged with hop matter. I dumped everything in the fermenter.
So my question is what to do next? I took it off about an hour ago and cleaned it out because the lid on the bucket was bulging. Got all the hops and cleaned it out with star San but now it's back to clogging up.
What can I do other than keeping an eye on it? Hardware store is closed for the nite so larger hose is out of the question. It's in a freezer/ferm chamber so if it blows the mess will be contained I just don't want to lose any beer or run the risk of it getting infected.

Why not let it "open" ferment until the krausen falls? The krausen will be pushing nasties out. That's what I usually do for wildly fermenting brews with no ill effects.

Why not let it "open" ferment until the krausen falls? The krausen will be pushing nasties out. That's what I usually do for wildly fermenting brews with no ill effects.

I'm not mentally stable enough for all that!! lol

A compromise might be to crack the lid and let it ooze out. The guy at my LHBS suggested that.

Some sanitized aluminum foil over the opening will let anything out without allowing wild yeast or bacteria to fall down. (Same technique is often used for making a yeast starter, where gas exchange is Desiree). Replace the tube in a day or so when things are a little slower.

Fortunately I managed to keep it under control and things have slowed down now that I'm at the 48hr from pitching point.
All is going to be ok it looks like. Thanks for the help

Latest posts

Back